Final message, student evals on line

Jay McCarthy

Dec 27, 2012, 3:59:39 PM12/27/12
to BYU CS 330 Fall 2012
I just put my student evals online:

--
Jay McCarthy <j...@cs.byu.edu>
http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay

Jay McCarthy

Dec 27, 2012, 4:14:24 PM12/27/12
to BYU CS 330 Fall 2012
Sorry to be stupid... here's the message I meant to send:

The evals are here:

http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay/static/2012F-CS330.pdf

A few interesting things:
- Despite many people's comments most people said they only worked 2
more hours in this class than the average CS class.

- It's my first semester ever below average on Overall
Course/Instructor (despite being the best semester for student's
grades... depressing)

- Many people seem to have never learned that the assignment IS the
test cases, not the code. Most of the comments about test cases are
therefore very depressing because it means they never learned the
point of the assignment is know you did the assignment correct, not to
do it correct.

- Regarding the weighting towards the end, yes 50% is in the final
week --- final project (prolog), final paper (wlang2), and final
(final) --- but that's completely normal for most classes when I was
in college where the final itself was 50% or more.

- Someone seems to think my assignment descriptions are intentionally
opaque. They aren't; they're the best I can think of. If you have any
lingering suggestions, please share them so I can make it better for
the next group.

<3

Jay