Comments

Jay McCarthy

Jan 3, 2011, 11:54:52 AM1/3/11
to BYU CS 330 Fall 2010
For any still listening...

I just got back my comments.

Quite a few people said that they felt that I was condescending or
mean to students. I'm sorry that I gave that impression. I feel really
bad about it and I'll have to figure how not to, since I was giving
that impression unconsciously.

Other things I noticed...

I think it is interesting that so many people commented on the
unfairness of the homework submission policy when no one was actually
affected by it.

Someone wrote this: "The grading is a bit confusing. I like to be able
to see exactly where I got points and why. A key of the grading on the
website would be very helpful. Also putting how each assignment will
be graded at the beginning of it would be helpful." I don't understand
this because I have a very verbose grading section and I send you back
your coding assignments with my grading annotations. Am I daft? Is
there something I'm not getting about why that's confusing? Any
suggestions?

Thanks for these comments, I pray I can use them effectively to improve,

Have a great semester,

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <j...@cs.byu.edu>
http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay

Steven Nay

Jan 3, 2011, 12:50:16 PM1/3/11
to byu-cs-330...@googlegroups.com
As far as grading goes: I think your grading policy was fair and made sense, but it did take some getting used to. One thing that is confusing for the first while is the fact that the target points possible and the actual points possible for a given programming assignment are not necessarily the same (you determine the real points possible after everyone has turned it in). This seems a bit odd until you get used to it. But at any rate, it is rather difficult to know beforehand what score you'll get on programming assignments. You just kinda have to add a lot of test cases to ensure that you'll get a good score.

Hope that helps!

Steve

Joseph Heydorn

Jan 5, 2011, 12:18:50 AM1/5/11
to byu-cs-330-Fall-2010
On the coding assignments, I could see easily where I did not get
credit for test cases, but it was harder to tell why I didn't get
credit.

On Jan 3, 10:50 am, Steven Nay <steven....@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as grading goes: I think your grading policy was fair and made sense,
> but it did take some getting used to. One thing that is confusing for the
> first while is the fact that the target points possible and the actual
> points possible for a given programming assignment are not necessarily the
> same (you determine the real points possible after everyone has turned it
> in). This seems a bit odd until you get used to it. But at any rate, it is
> rather difficult to know beforehand what score you'll get on programming
> assignments. You just kinda have to add a lot of test cases to ensure that
> you'll get a good score.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Steve

Jay McCarthy

Jan 5, 2011, 12:42:47 AM1/5/11
to byu-cs-330...@googlegroups.com
How much information do you think I should put in the file I send back
versus how much I should give when asked? Obviously there are
diminishing returns at some point and there's a deadweight loss when
you give information that no one will read. I'm curious where the line
is for you.

Jay

Jay McCarthy

Jan 5, 2011, 4:41:55 PM1/5/11