some questions: xmlrpc, pygments...

1 view

Gour

Dec 1, 2009, 5:12:23 AM12/1/09
to byteflo...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Here is Python/Django noob looking for a decent django-based blog app
without the desire to write Yet Another One Django Blog. :-)

Besides some standard blog-features, I'd like the possibility to
remotely post (from Emacs) using rst markup?

I see that #43 is quite old and I'm curious what is the plan about it
for Byteflow?

Otoh, web-site lists the following feature: Markdown & typography for
posts and comments. Can one use rst with Byteflow and what typography
is available?

Considering I'll soon start to work on some Haskell project, there
will be probably some post desiring to have decent syntax higlighting
and I''m interested about Pygments support (ticket "27) which is also
quite old in the trac database?

I'm looking at some other blog apps like Django techblog, banjo,
oebfare), but none has everything what I'd like to have, so have to
consider which one is the most promising in terms of features and
active development.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour | Hlapicina, Croatia | GPG key: F96FF5F6

signature.asc

Alexander Solovyov

Dec 1, 2009, 5:53:01 AM12/1/09
Hi, Gour. You wrote:

> Here is Python/Django noob looking for a decent django-based blog app
> without the desire to write Yet Another One Django Blog. :-)

Hi there! ;-)

> Besides some standard blog-features, I'd like the possibility to
> remotely post (from Emacs) using rst markup?
>
> I see that #43 is quite old and I'm curious what is the plan about it
> for Byteflow?

Hmm... The plan is that I need to look at this patch one more time (I'm not sure
why it's not applied), and probably need to apply it even if it has some
bugs. Another trouble is... how would you use it from Emacs? I'd like to hear
that too. :)

> Otoh, web-site lists the following feature: Markdown & typography for
> posts and comments. Can one use rst with Byteflow and what typography
> is available?

Yeah, typography is not depended on renderer, it just updates generated HTML to
make it look pretty. Look at source to understand it better if you wish. [1]

> Considering I'll soon start to work on some Haskell project, there
> will be probably some post desiring to have decent syntax higlighting
> and I''m interested about Pygments support (ticket "27) which is also
> quite old in the trac database?

Oh, this one just needs someone to start implementing it. I would really
appreciate such feature as highlight.js is somewhat disappointing lately for
me. :-(

> I'm looking at some other blog apps like Django techblog, banjo,
> oebfare), but none has everything what I'd like to have, so have to
> consider which one is the most promising in terms of features and
> active development.

I can't say byteflow is very actively developed (as you can see in timeline),
but I don't plan to give up on maintenance anytime soon - it's just almost
enough for me and I mostly work right now on other projects.

[1]: http://hg.piranha.org.ua/byteflow/file/025f2e72b23b/apps/typogrify/templatetags/typogrify.py#l205

--
Alexander

Alexander Solovyov

Dec 1, 2009, 7:01:11 AM12/1/09
Hi, Gour. You wrote:

> Besides some standard blog-features, I'd like the possibility to
> remotely post (from Emacs) using rst markup?

I've just pushed metaweblog support (checked that creating/editing posts works
with MarsEdit), please test it and report bugs/send patches. ;-)

--
Alexander

Gour

Dec 1, 2009, 7:37:57 AM12/1/09
to byteflo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:53:01 +0200

Hello Alex,

Alexander> Hmm... The plan is that I need to look at this patch one
Alexander> more time (I'm not sure why it's not applied), and probably
Alexander> need to apply it even if it has some bugs. Another trouble
Alexander> is... how would you use it from Emacs? I'd like to hear that
Alexander> too. :)

Check e.g. last comment at
http://wahjava.wordpress.com/2008/11/09/blogel/ and see

Alexander> Yeah, typography is not depended on renderer, it just
Alexander> updates generated HTML to make it look pretty. Look at
Alexander> source to understand it better if you wish. [1]

It is cute.

Alexander> Oh, this one just needs someone to start implementing it. I
Alexander> would really appreciate such feature as highlight.js is
Alexander> somewhat disappointing lately for me. :-(

Yeah, having pygments support will be great.

Alexander> I can't say byteflow is very actively developed (as you can
Alexander> see in timeline), but I don't plan to give up on maintenance
Alexander> anytime soon - it's just almost enough for me and I mostly
Alexander> work right now on other projects.

OK. Fair-enough. The current feature-list with the above
questioned-stuff, is quite rich.

signature.asc

Gour

Dec 1, 2009, 7:54:28 AM12/1/09
to byteflo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 14:01:11 +0200

Alexander> I've just pushed metaweblog support (checked that
Alexander> creating/editing posts works with MarsEdit), please test it
Alexander> and report bugs/send patches. ;-)

Thanks a lot for that.

As soon as I setup things on my side, I'll test it and report back.

signature.asc

robataka

Dec 6, 2009, 10:14:31 AM12/6/09
to byteflow-users
I tested the xmlrpc with scribefire on linux (ff 3.5.5, ubuntu) and it
worked fine.
http://www.neohawk.org/blog/2009/12/05/testing-byteflow-metaweblog-api/

It did not work for me using ff on windows(XP) though. Seemed I was
getting a user doesn't match query. I'll try again and see if I can
get a screenshot if that would help....

Alexander Solovyov

Dec 6, 2009, 11:22:46 AM12/6/09
On 2009-12-06, robataka wrote:

> On Dec 1, 7:01 am, Alexander Solovyov <pira...@piranha.org.ua> wrote:
>> Hi, Gour. You wrote:
>>> Besides some standard blog-features, I'd like the possibility to
>>> remotely post (from Emacs) using rst markup?

>> I've just pushed metaweblog support (checked that creating/editing posts works
>> with MarsEdit), please test it and report bugs/send patches. ;-)

> I tested the xmlrpc with scribefire on linux (ff 3.5.5, ubuntu) and it
> worked fine.
> http://www.neohawk.org/blog/2009/12/05/testing-byteflow-metaweblog-api/

Hah, just read your post few minutes ago. ;-)

> It did not work for me using ff on windows(XP) though. Seemed I was
> getting a user doesn't match query. I'll try again and see if I can
> get a screenshot if that would help....

Hm, sure.

--
Alexander

robataka

Dec 6, 2009, 12:01:37 PM12/6/09
to byteflow-users

On Dec 6, 11:22 am, "Alexander Solovyov" <pira...@piranha.org.ua>
wrote:
> On 2009-12-06, robataka wrote:
> >> I've just pushed metaweblog support (checked that creating/editing posts works
> >> with MarsEdit), please test it and report bugs/send patches. ;-)
> > I tested the xmlrpc with scribefire on linux (ff 3.5.5, ubuntu) and it
> > worked fine.
> >http://www.neohawk.org/blog/2009/12/05/testing-byteflow-metaweblog-api/
>
> Hah, just read your post few minutes ago. ;-)
:-) Thanks for the great software!

> > It did not work for me using ff on windows(XP) though.  Seemed I was
> > getting a user doesn't match query.  I'll try again and see if I can
> > get a screenshot if that would help....
>
> Hm, sure.
Nevermind, end luser error. With a correct configuration, it works
fine.

Alexander Solovyov

Dec 6, 2009, 12:28:49 PM12/6/09
On 2009-12-06, robataka wrote:

> Nevermind, end luser error. With a correct configuration, it works
> fine.

Cool, nice to hear that. Please report if you will have any troubles
or inconveniences. :-)

--
Alexander