Making Complete Django Website building on Byteflow

Kenny Meyer

Dec 27, 2009, 10:59:38 AM12/27/09
to byteflow-users
Hello,

I was going to create Django (v1.1.0) project from scratch, a personal
website, basically having a weblog (including archive, tags, comments,
etc), portfolio, a small wiki, and maybe some "project-hosting", too.
Then I stumbled over Byteflow ;) . It has practically all a weblog
needs to have (and more), so I wondered if it's possible to realize my
idea described earlier, using Byteflow "from scratch", I mean to
simply extend Byteflow, writing the apps and templates.

So the question is: Can I use Byteflow as the base of my project,
extending it manually, without "cherry-picking", to match personal
needs?

Byteflow *looks* extensible - applications, themes, sql folders are
all cleanly separated - so can you give me any suggestions, warnings
or comments?

The only related post I found was this one, from the discussion's
list:
http://groups.google.com/group/byteflow-users/browse_thread/thread/2733c84cd115014d

Yuri Baburov

Dec 30, 2009, 10:54:15 AM12/30/09
to byteflo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kenny,

yes, sure, why not? :)

--
Best regards, Yuri V. Baburov, ICQ# 99934676, Skype: yuri.baburov,
MSN: bu...@live.com

Alexander Solovyov

Jan 5, 2010, 4:11:11 PM1/5/10
On 2009-12-27, Kenny Meyer wrote:

> Hello,

> I was going to create Django (v1.1.0) project from scratch, a personal
> website, basically having a weblog (including archive, tags, comments,
> etc), portfolio, a small wiki, and maybe some "project-hosting", too.
> Then I stumbled over Byteflow ;) . It has practically all a weblog
> needs to have (and more), so I wondered if it's possible to realize my
> idea described earlier, using Byteflow "from scratch", I mean to
> simply extend Byteflow, writing the apps and templates.

> So the question is: Can I use Byteflow as the base of my project,
> extending it manually, without "cherry-picking", to match personal
> needs?

> Byteflow *looks* extensible - applications, themes, sql folders are
> all cleanly separated - so can you give me any suggestions, warnings
> or comments?

Yeah, I think you can do it, actually even without changing codebase
itself (at least for a good part), as you have settings_local.py, which
can override any setting you want, plus urls_local.py (template at
urls_local.py.template), which can override any url you'd like to.

Probably the best way is to put your applications and other custom code
in directory separate from byteflow itself... And then complain if you
need more extensibility. ;-)

--
Alexander

Kenny Meyer

Jan 6, 2010, 6:46:38 AM1/6/10
to byteflo...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Thanks for the late answer. I've started off the project 2 weeks ago
and I "de-activated" most apps I don't need. Some code was really
bloated and unnecessary, but the `blog` app is rather solid.

It's really great, that `byteflow` can handle 5+ different markup
languages.

I highlight code with pygment, because this `highlight.js` is not that
nice.

Don't get me wrong, I think byteflow is one of the best from all
blog-engines written in Django I've seen until now.

Regards,

--
.' `. knny [d0t] myer [at] gmail [d0t] com
|a_a | http://kenny.alwaysdata.net | gpg key ID: 0x00F56BA1B2
\<_)__/ --------------------------------------------------------
/( )\ Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not
|\`> < /\ simpler.
\_|=='|_/ -- Albert Einstein

signature.asc

Alexander Solovyov

Jan 6, 2010, 7:19:53 AM1/6/10
On 2010-01-06, Kenny Meyer wrote:

> Thanks for the late answer. I've started off the project 2 weeks ago

I wasn't near the connection for a holidays, so haven't got a chance to
answer earlier. :-(

> and I "de-activated" most apps I don't need. Some code was really
> bloated and unnecessary, but the `blog` app is rather solid.

Heh, yeah, there is room for improvement, for sure. ;-)

> It's really great, that `byteflow` can handle 5+ different markup
> languages.

> I highlight code with pygment, because this `highlight.js` is not that
> nice.

I'm starting to think same way... And if you have patch, I think I'll be
glad to accept them. ;-)

> Don't get me wrong, I think byteflow is one of the best from all
> blog-engines written in Django I've seen until now.

I'm happy to hear that, thanks. :)

--
Alexander

Kenny Meyer

Jan 6, 2010, 7:36:15 AM1/6/10
to byteflow-users
Hi Yuri,

Sorry about the late answer. I think I somehow lost the mail, while
messing with my new mail client.

And yes, it's very possible, now after 2 weeks time of trying. Thanks
for being optimistic :)

Regards,
Kenny