byCycle News for 2/07

lauren

Feb 11, 2007, 6:38:24 PM2/11/07
to byCycle General Discussion
byCycle News for 2/07

What has byCycle been doing since our last newsletter? Although we
have been fairly quiet over the past few months, we have been working
hard on a new version of the trip planner. We should be rolling it out
soon, and we'll let you know so you can try the new features.

We are also working toward getting new regions integrated. In
Washington, DC, the Council of Government's Transportation Planning
Board passed funding for an online bike route mapping program for the
'07 fiscal year. We are very excited about this prospect. We have also
been communicating with Madison, WI, and Austin, TX.

Funding the Trip Planner

We continue to look for funding for the Portland and Madison versions
of the trip planner. It costs us an estimated $2,500 per month to host
and maintain a city. (This figure includes a moderate rate for our
time.)

Back in July (2006), we put some Google ads on the site. We make about
$40 a month from Google ads--they help a little, but not much. Our
long term goal is to replace them with sales of our products, funding
from cycling organizations or governments in cities that use the trip
planner, and ads for local businesses.

We are offering an advertising pilot program to local businesses in
regions using the trip planner. For $25, local businesses and
organizations can place an advertisement on our site in a prime
location for one month. In addition to attracting the business of
riders using the trip planner, businesses advertising on our site will
be supporting a project that helps encourage new riders, gets more
people out of cars and on to bikes, and helps people plan safe trips
through the city. If you would like to place an ad, please contact
Lauren.

The byCycle Store

We just opened a CafePress store. The store has sweatshop free,
American made apparel, cards, a calendar, and even postage stamps
(really!). Everything is printed with new images designed by Lauren
forbyCycle . We will be adding more items to the store, so check back
often. If none of the designs suit your fancy or you're interested in
custom artwork, get in touch with Lauren. She can whip something
together in no time (may cost extra).

We make $5 off of every item you purchase at the store, so it's a
great way to support the Trip Planner.

Pittsburgh

After much deliberation, we've taken the Pittsburgh Trip Planner down.
We have a post that goes into more detail. Basically, the Pittsburgh
version of the trip planner was completed unsupported by anyone in
Pittsburgh, was never funded in any way, and didn't work very well.

Last week, we received a forwarded email that contained the following,
written by someone who is involved with planning for the DC area bike
trip planner: "Being from Pittsburgh, I chose Pittsburgh. I couldn't
get anything to work."

Though we would prefer to keep Pittsburgh online, at the current time
we don't have the resources to work on it. We'd be glad to have
someone from Pittsburgh get involved.

Integrating your region

Would you like to integrate your region in the trip planner? It's
easy! Contact us to find out about costs and data requirements.