Automatic Address Verification

Tall Steve

Dec 14, 2006, 4:34:13 PM12/14/06
to byCycle General Discussion
Deep techie stuff: I'm working on the Pedalpalooza calendar software,
getting ready for 2007, and one of the things I noticed is that address
verification (used to decide whether an event's address should be a
link into tripplanner.bycycle.org) wasn't working right. After a
couple hours of testing and research, I figured out that tripplanner
now uses HTTP page redirection when it can't resolve an address, and
PHP's fopen() function doesn't handle redirection. The solution is to
use PHP's fsockopen() function and compose your own request header,
instead of using fopen(). I'll happily supply my PHP source code to
anybody who needs it.