Reflections on game based learning

King Kapito

Feb 18, 2021, 9:33:03 PM2/18/21
to Bwalo-la-aphunzitsi
Hello comrades,

I'm working on a chapter on prospects for game based learning for outside school learning, so I thought of seeking for your opinions.

My question is, what of what good can this be? Also, how do you see yourself as teachers co-existing with these new learning agents? This idea comes from evidence from decades of game based learning researcher which shows its impact on learning gains, interest and motivation to learn, especially when learning experiences is designed like games are. What are your thoughts?

Your ideas will help me reflect on the subject.

Thank you.

Kapiri kapiri

Feb 19, 2021, 3:36:14 AM2/19/21
to bwalo-la-...@googlegroups.com
Hi
Game based learning can be good when it is moderated and controlled. Its based on reward for doing and completing a task. My experience is that not all games are good for learning depending on age and syllabus. Other countries progress through stages of learning depending on age, while in Malawi it is whether you passed exams or not. So  you are likely to get the wrong games for the wrong age group simply because a Malawian student aged 17 is still in form one when in other countries that age group is completing GCSEs and indeed some would be doing form 5. A question of maturity versus types of games for the learning.

Jus a thought

Veronica

Adamson S. Muula

Feb 21, 2021, 1:06:53 PM2/21/21
to bwalo-la-aphunzitsi
Dear King,

Are there data on game based learning from Malawi?

adamson

Adamson S. Muula PhD, MPH, MBBS, CPH, PGDip (Public Health Ethics), PGDip (Global Health), PGD (Palliative Care)
Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health
University of Malawi, College of Medicine
School of Public Health and Family Medicine
Department of Public Health
Chimutu Building Room 850
Private Bag 360, Chichiri
Blantyre 3