Malawi’s education crisis and the use of evidence in policy, planning and practice | Afrika Aphukira

Steve Sharra

Dec 9, 2020, 10:26:41 AM12/9/20
to HigherEdMalawi, bwalo-la-...@googlegroups.com, civs...@sdnp.org.mw, girlse...@googlegroups.com
Malawi’s education crisis and the use of evidence in policy, planning and practice

"When the report of the 2018 Malawi Population and Housing Census was released in May 2019, there was one statistic that I found astounding. Amongst 14-17 year-old Malawian youths, the official secondary school age bracket, 82 percent of them were not in school. Only 18 percent were. I expected this statistic, which I considered to be a national crisis, to make front page and news headlines. It did not. Perhaps understandably. The focus was on the overall population figure, the percentage of young people, and other equally important findings. The education statistics largely went unnoticed."

McPherson Jere

Dec 9, 2020, 4:36:39 PM12/9/20
to bwalo-la-...@googlegroups.com, HigherEdMalawi, civs...@sdnp.org.mw, girlse...@googlegroups.com
True and thst is exactly the problem  we notice when the crisis  has spilled over in the streets . We neef to be a  nation that use stastical backed  strategies

chikondi maleta

Dec 9, 2020, 4:47:11 PM12/9/20
to bwalo-la-...@googlegroups.com, HigherEdMalawi, civs...@sdnp.org.mw, girlse...@googlegroups.com
Just be careful. Stats can also be used to further an agenda which is in truest sense misrepresented. E.g. how big is the base on the pyramid for the 6 million primary school going children?

Dec 11, 2020, 8:29:59 AM12/11/20
to bwalo-la-aphunzitsi, HigherEdMalawi, civs...@sdnp.org.mw, girlse...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chikondi,

Could you please clarify what you mean? Good afternoon.

adamson

--
Adamson S. Muula PhD, MPH, MBBS, CPH, PGDip (Public Health Ethics), PGDip (Global Health), PGD (Palliative Care)
Professor of Epidemiology and Public Health

chikondi maleta

Dec 12, 2020, 2:02:19 AM12/12/20
to bwalo-la-...@googlegroups.com, HigherEdMalawi, civs...@sdnp.org.mw, girlse...@googlegroups.com
Prof,

The presentation was aimed at boosting resources for secondary school education in Malawi, rightly so. However, no attempt was made to unpack the inefficiencies in primary education.  It remains disheartening that we spent resources for an average of 22 years for an 8 year primary education.  As of 2017/18, 3.4m of the enrollment in primary education was in standards 1-4. The numbers dwindle from standard 5-8. Much as transitioning rate is low (37%), we don't have good numbers sitting for Primary School Leaving Certificate.

I have issues with looking for extra resources,  when we have a wasted 14 years per unit student cost in primary education.  To me, the needle that requires pushing in the short term is building efficiencies in primary education. Use savings in building the secondary education system, and seek for more with increasing effectiveness.  For me, that's a value that we should use building up the sector. Otherwise,  with the K100b sought, we may end up at a point where we have 100% transition rate (with low enrollments in standard eight) and pat ourselves for a job well done, when many remain in the 6m.

Unfortunately,  this is well known. However, passion moves the needle than evidence.
Feb 2, 2021, 12:03:00 AM2/2/21
to bwalo-la-...@googlegroups.com

--
Sent from my phone