Sloka form of Gayatri Mantra

nagarajpaturi

Apr 9, 2014, 1:56:14 PM4/9/14
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
"यो देवस्सवितास्माकं धियो धर्मादिगोचराः ।
प्रेरयेत्तस्य यद्भर्गःतद्वरेण्यमुपास्महे॥"

This sloka is not an unknown one. Moreover it is very well known as a part of the Sandhyavandanam routine.

But it is being taken as Dhyanasloka to be used in the aarambha and avasaana of the Gayatri Japa part of the Sandhyavandanam routine.

In fact, it is the sloka version in loukika samskrita for the Gayatri mantra which is in Vaidika samskrita.

It is a verbatim translation of the Gayatri Mantra.

This is word to word. Only 'धर्मादिगोचराः'  is the explanatory extension added to 'धियः' . Rest all are word to word for the words of  the Gayatri Mantra.

This sloka follows the SaayaNaachaarya's approach of taking the Gayatri Mantra as a single sentence with a relative clause (यत्तदर्थक) structure (In fact the sloka adds the words यत्  and तत्  for this purpose).  Even the word धर्मादिगोचराः is in a close following of SaayaNaachaarya's bhaashya of the Gayatri Mantra.

Some of the words are the same as in the Gayatri Mantra. Those are यः , धियः, भर्गः, वरेण्यं .

Some others are replaced by equivalents/synonyms. Those are नः--> अस्माकं ,प्रचोदयात् ---> प्रेरयेत् , धीमहि ---> उपास्महे.

The remaining words( except 'धर्मादिगोचराः'  which is the explanatory extension added to 'धियः' )  are the same as in the Mantra but in a different grammatical form. Those are देवस्य ---> देवः ,
सवितुः---> सविता ,तत् ---->तस्य.

Two additional words यत्  and तत्  are brought in to highlight the relative clause (यत्तदर्थक)  structure.

Those who can not/ do not want to use the Mantra version of the Gayatri Mantra can freely use the sloka version as a substitute.

This fact that this is  a sloka form substitute of the Gayatri Mantra desrves greater publicity

really धन्योस्मि .

Nagaraj

Ajit Krishnan

Apr 9, 2014, 9:44:37 PM4/9/14
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
namaste,

This shloka (attributed to Agastya) is just a short gloss that gives the anvaya of the mantra and happens to be in meter. There are many others attributed to other rishis. Some of them are collected in the document below (see page 21) --

sasneham,

    ajit

--
निराशीर्निर्ममो भूत्वा युध्यस्व विगतज्वरः।। (भ.गी.)
---

Nagaraj Paturi

Apr 10, 2014, 2:13:09 AM4/10/14
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks to Sri Ajit Krishnan for the गायत्रीशिष्टार्थमाला pdf. This is a valuable compilation. All those interested in Gayatri-study will be greatly benefitted by downloading this.Any info on the compiler Ajitji ?

All I said is,

'Those who can not/ do not want to use the Mantra version of the Gayatri Mantra can freely use the sloka version as a substitute'.

A sloka version can never be the same as the mantra version.

But  a substitute that does not carry stipulations has many advantages during contemporary times.

Another info that was helpful, again thanks to Sri Ajit is that this sloka is attributed to Agastya.

भवदीयः

Nagaraj

--
Prof.Nagaraj Paturi
Hyderabad-500044

Niranjan Ni

Jan 28, 2018, 12:25:40 PM1/28/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Sri Ajit:

This link is no more operational.

Can you give a current working link?

Thanks.

Ramanujachar P

Jan 28, 2018, 12:31:12 PM1/28/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
This is from KavitarkikaSimha, SarvatantraSvatantra, Sri Vedanta Desika:

प्रतिपुरुषमनेकाः प्रत्यवस्थं विचित्राः
शुभगतिषु धियो यश्चोदयत्यञ्जसा नः ।
अखिलचिदचिदन्तर्यामि तद्विष्णुसंज्ञं
सवितुरहमुपासे तस्य देवस्य भर्गः ॥ (शतदूषणी)

रामानुजः

Dr. P. Ramanujan
Parankushachar Institute of Vedic Studies (Regd.)
Bengaluru
080-25433239 (R)
9449088616

Nagaraj Paturi

Jan 28, 2018, 1:13:35 PM1/28/18
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
The site hosting the pdf file of Gayatri S'ishtarthamaalaa shared by sri Ajit Krishnan-ji has moved.

There is a link provided for the old site:

Still the pdf file is elusive.
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

shankara

Jan 28, 2018, 1:44:11 PM1/28/18
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad, Nagaraj Paturi
Paturiji,

Gayatrisishtarthamala is available at the following web-page.

regards
shankara

--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Nagaraj Paturi

Jan 28, 2018, 10:31:39 PM1/28/18
to shankara, Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Thanks very much.

Can you conduct a tutorial for web digging for us?

shankara

Jan 28, 2018, 11:05:50 PM1/28/18
to Nagaraj Paturi, Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Paturiji,

Thanks. I simply searched for 'gayatri_2012_02_17.pdf' on the Google.

regards
shankara

Ajit Krishnan

Mar 1, 2018, 10:59:34 AM3/1/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
namaste,

The aupasana.com site was redesigned a while back. It was hoped that the publications page (link above) would be relatively easy to find. A direct link to the pdf has already been provided by Sri Shankara. None the less, the file may be updated in the future, which will be reflected in the page above.

sasneham,

    ajit

Madhav Deshpande

Mar 1, 2018, 6:25:25 PM3/1/18
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Shri Ajit Krishnan,

     The Aupasana.com website is wonderful, and I have benefitted from its rich collection of books.  I have one question.  What is the Devanagari font used for your "Test Page for Browser Support".  Occasionally I need to type Vedic accents on my Mac, and the placement of accent marks is always a problem.  Any help you can suggest is welcome.  With best wishes,

Madhav Deshpande
Campbell, California

Ajit Krishnan

Mar 5, 2018, 12:04:46 PM3/5/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
namaste,

The test page above was designed to render vedic accents using the Siddhanta font. It went through a few iterations to test how different browsers handle common taittiriya shakha accents on different platforms. I tried various fonts (Sanskrit 2003 / Siddhanta / Noto Sans) on different browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox) on different platforms (Windows 10, Mac OSX, Linux, iOS) and really didn't find a solution that worked well across them.

I personally type vedic selections directly into Microsoft Word using the Siddhanta font. This works on both Windows and Mac OSX, though there are a couple of oddities in typesetting the dirgha svarita (on a mac there are a few cases where two svaritas in sequence render as a dirgha svarita while the dirgha svarita code point does not render correctly ... and the behavior is the opposite on Microsoft Word on Windows).

You can install the Siddhanta font using the builtin FontBook on OSX, and then install the latest version of Microsoft Word. For an IME, I use the Lipika IME (https://github.com/ratreya/lipika-ime) which supports custom input schemes, and also understands the Google IME scheme file format.

If you would like, I can provide the exact .scm file that I use on OSX to render vedic accents.

sasneham,

     ajit