Sanskrit Pronouns

Mārcis Gasūns

Feb 19, 2019, 8:31:52 AM2/19/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste,

  What is the best source for pronoun declension tables?

anya (f,m,n),
itara (f,m,n),
eka (f,m,n),
etad (f,m,n)
katama (f,m,n)
katara (f,m,n)
kim (f,m,n)
tad (f,m,n)
dakziRa (f,m,n)
yad (f,m,n)
viSva (f,m,n)
sarva (f,m,n)
aDara(f)
antara(f)
apara(f)
avara(f)
uttara(f)
para(f)
pUrva(f)
sva(f)

How many are there? 24?

Regards,

Marcis

Hnbhat B.R.

Feb 19, 2019, 8:38:12 PM2/19/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
सर्वादीनि सर्वनामानि १५१, १।१।२६

सर्व विश्व उभ उभय डतर डतम अन्य अन्यतर इतर त्वत् त्व नेम सम सिम। पूर्वपरावरदक्षिणोत्तरापराधराणि व्यवस्थायामसंज्ञायाम्। स्वमज्ञातिधनाख्यायाम्। अन्तरं बहिर्योगोपसंव्यानयोः। त्यद् तद् यद् एतद् इदम् अदस् एक द्वि युष्मद् अस्मद् भवतु किम्॥
The complete list of Sanskrit pronouns.

I could not read some from your list:

dakziRa (f,m,n) ?
aDara(f) ?

All the pronouns can be declined in three genders. But some listed are considered as pronouns  conditionally as their meanings given immediately in the list. They are declined optionally in certain cases.

I don't know any declension table giving declension of all the pronouns.

Amba Kulkarni

Feb 19, 2019, 10:11:22 PM2/19/19
to bvparishat
Hello Marcis,

I do not know any source where the declensions of all pronouns are given. But Ruupachandrikaa lists a few of them.
And provides a list under each of them of other pronouns which behave like those declined.

You may try http://sanskrit.uohyd.ac.in/scl -> tools - > noun generator

I would be happy to fix the errors if any, in my generator :-)

Best,
Amba

आ नो भद्रा: क्रतवो यन्तु विश्वत: ll
Let noble thoughts come to us from every side.
- Rig Veda, I-89-i.

Professor & Head
Department of Sanskrit Studies
University of Hyderabad
Prof. C.R. Rao Road
Hyderabad-500 046

(91) 040 23133802(off)

shankara

Feb 19, 2019, 10:29:43 PM2/19/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Marcis,

Brahmananda Tripathi's compilation, 'Rupachandrika' contains declension tables of almost all the pronouns in your list. Though they are not together in one place, they can be easily located from the index page.

regards
shankara

S. L. Abhyankar

Feb 19, 2019, 11:05:26 PM2/19/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
On-line resource for declensions of many pronouns is also at
Please see PDF-pages 56 to 70. (Book's Pages 58 to 72) Word Nos. 91 to 125. Below these 35 declension tables, "similar" pronouns are also listed.
On PDF page 56 first of all, the pronouns are classified into six classes
image.png
image.png
Interestingly the author calls डतर and डतम to be प्रत्यय-s, which get affixed as तर and तम respectively, maybe, ड being considered as an इत् vide चुटू (1'3'7)
It seems in <किंयत्तदो निर्द्धारणे द्वयोरेकस्य डतरच् 5'3'92> also डतरच् has been mentioned as a प्रत्यय only.
Notes (foot-notes) on Book-pages 58 and 59 are also very good.

Nagaraj Paturi

Feb 19, 2019, 11:55:59 PM2/19/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
If Dr Mārcis Gasūns  knows Telugu script, S'abdaratnavali can be downloaded from https://archive.org/details/shabdaratnavali023086mbp

As Prof. Amba Kulkarni pointed out, even this book says under sarva s'abda (declension table), एवं विश्व कतर कतम अन्यतर इतर त्व सम सीम शब्दानां  रूपाणि ज्ञेयानि ।

It has एतौ प्रत्ययौ। तेन तदन्ता: कतर यतर ततर एकतर कतम यतम ततम एकतम इत्यादौ गृह्यन्ते ।

It has separate tables for उभय नित्यद्विवचनान्त, उभय द्विवचनरहित , नेम,पूर्व,एक,द्वि, तत् ,यत् , त्यत् , एतत् ,युष्मत् , अस्मत्, किं , इदं , अद:  under पुंलिङ्ग ।

Under  स्त्रीलिङ्ग ,नपुंसकलिङ्ग  same sarvanamas are repeated.
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre for Indic Knowledge Systems.
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Mārcis Gasūns

Feb 20, 2019, 12:00:09 AM2/20/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

ср, 20 февр. 2019 г. в 07:56, Nagaraj Paturi <nagara...@gmail.com>:
If Dr Mārcis Gasūns  knows Telugu script, S'abdaratnavali can be downloaded from https://archive.org/details/shabdaratnavali023086mbp

No, a pitty, but no. I need to check the validity of online services and need a error-free reference book.

Pooja P

Feb 20, 2019, 3:23:09 AM2/20/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
The Shabdamanjari has most of them as well - https://archive.org/details/ShabdaManjari_201706/page/n55