Complete Thirukkural - best english translation of Tamil original?

Govind Kashyap

Jun 22, 2024, 11:36:11 PM (10 days ago) Jun 22
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaskara,

Has the complete unabridged Thirukkural of Thiruvalluvar - with the three sections on dharma (aram), artha (porul) and kama (inbam) in full - been accurately translated into English by anyone recently or earlier that you'd recommend? Are there any editions that carry the original Tamil verses alongwith their accurate English meanings and translation?

I have read some translations earlier, but some remove the third section on kama (inbam) entirely, some are suspect in that the author(s) seem(s) to be from non-Hindu/non-Tamil missionary circles, some are only abridgments, extracts or part translations, some have their English translation in prose form [sacrificing accuracy of meaning/sense for poetic/literary effect] and some have only the English translations without the Tamil verses.

I have yet to find a proper, complete translation that does justice to the original.

I understand that the BJP Tamil Nadu president gifted a copy of the Thirukkural to PM Modi when he visited Tamil Nadu some time back. Is that a proper Tamil-English translation of the Kural? Kindly advise if it is available for purchase.

Kindly advise.

with thanks

Rajagopalan Soundararajan

Jun 23, 2024, 8:24:33 AM (10 days ago) Jun 23
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaskara.
Please see.

Tirukkural of Tiruvalluvar

Tamil Text and English Translation

Soundararajan

Govind Kashyap

Jun 23, 2024, 11:56:28 PM (9 days ago) Jun 23
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you sir, for the reference and the link
I had not come across this particular translation earlier

After posting the original question, I came across information about the publications of the Central Institute of Classical Tamil, Chennai
They have brought out several editions of Thirukkural in several languages including English recently

I request scholars here to consider sharing their views on how good the translation into English is in their opinion

thanks