Cyclone Fani

Madhav Deshpande

May 3, 2019, 12:14:20 PM5/3/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
I hope and pray for the safety of our members and all Indians in the path of the Cyclone Fani.  Just saw some videos on TV and it looks very scary.

Madhav Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan
[Residence: Campbell, California]

Bijoy Misra

May 3, 2019, 12:22:58 PM5/3/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
It hit Puri.  A cyclone had never hit Puri itself as we know.
My ancestral village is OK because the coconut groves tamper the fury.
Dr Mamamta Dash (Chennai) in the list comes from a neighboring village.

Here I am busy with our seminar.

Mughal Brochure-low res.pdf

Ramaratnam S.

May 3, 2019, 7:58:15 PM5/3/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Our University campus is about 100 km away from Puri. The terrible wind and rain lasted for about 8 hours. It was the fury of nature at its height, the like of which I have never seen before. I had made arrangements for food, water and power back up and so we survived. I had also arranged for tying the glass panes tightly with ropes. So they were all saved. Flying glass pieces would be a great source of  danger. Yet some asbestos and metal sheets were thrown off, part of the compound fell and some trees also fell. All the mangoes (of about 100 trees) are gone.  The damage is estimated at about 10 lakhs but thank God, there was no loss of life. All inmates were strictly instructed to remain in doors.
Ramaratnam
Vice Chancellor,
Jagadguru Kripalu University,
Odisha.

Madhav Deshpande

May 3, 2019, 8:17:37 PM5/3/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Professor Ramaratnam,

     I am relieved to hear from your report that there was no loss of life, in spite of lots of damage to trees, roofs etc.  Please take care of yourself, your family and your students.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan
[Residence: Campbell, California]

Ramaratnam S.

May 4, 2019, 2:44:02 AM5/4/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Professor Madhav Deshpande,
I thank you for the concern expressed. Indeed it was a disaster. Our Kaju plantation in about 25 acres is almost wiped out. Elsewhere also there is large scale damage to property. The Bhubaneshwar Railway station looks like a burial ground now. Yet there is some consolation. Very few people lost their lives. But for the Government's timely action thousands would have perished. It is not easy to evacuate a million people and provide them food and shelter. It was a massive effort. We must also appreciate the meteorological  department for the timely warning and accurate weather forecasting.

Trichur Rukmani

May 4, 2019, 6:50:57 AM5/4/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ramaratnam,
Our hearts go out to you, your family and all the inmates at the University and all those in Orissa who are braving this fury of nature. It is a consolation that no lives were lost and one must commend the way the government has risen to the occasion and has taken good care of its citizens with a lot of well planned facilities.
Take care
om
rukmani and rajamani

Ramaratnam S.

May 4, 2019, 9:57:36 AM5/4/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Respected Dr. Rukmini Madam,
I thank you for the soothing words. They will go a long way in healing the wounds of the disaster.
with regards,
ramaratnam

Venkata Sriram

May 6, 2019, 1:47:23 AM5/6/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Madhav-ji,

The Disaster Management in AP acted wonderfully with timely alerts from tech-savvy government. The CM took it as a challenge
and it was his pro-active decisions that saved many lives in AP.  Kudos to him.

Meanwhile, my prayers are also with the Orissa people .

सच्चिदानन्द रूपाय विश्वोत्पत्यादि हेतवे

तापत्रय विनाशाय श्री कृष्णाय वयम नुमः

rgs,
sriram