Devanagari not displaying correctly on ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Dipesh Katira

Feb 11, 2017, 10:25:23 PM2/11/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Dear Group Members,

I have recently started using ubuntu 14.04. The devanagari characters especially the conjunct consonants like pra प्र as in prakaasa are not displaying properly. Please suggest me a solution for this problem.

Thank you!

Dipesh Katira.

dhaval patel

Feb 11, 2017, 10:35:35 PM2/11/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Use Lohit Devanagari as font in text editor. Also set it as a default font in your preferred browser. I also had this issue. Making these changes served my purpose.

Shrikant Jamadagni

Feb 12, 2017, 1:09:00 AM2/12/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
On a related issue - In Ubuntu, what input-method-editor do you use for typing devanagari and other indian scripts?

thanks.

Shrikant Jamadagni
Bengaluru

On Sunday, 12 February 2017 9:05 AM, dhaval patel <drdhav...@gmail.com> wrote:

Use Lohit Devanagari as font in text editor. Also set it as a default font in your preferred browser. I also had this issue. Making these changes served my purpose.

dhaval patel

Feb 12, 2017, 2:00:33 AM2/12/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

On a related issue - In Ubuntu, what input-method-editor do you use for typing devanagari and other indian scripts?

thanks.

This is a question which has kept me from shifting to ubuntu full fledgedly. Looking forward to hear from others.

उज्ज्वल राजपूत

Feb 12, 2017, 2:31:51 AM2/12/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
This is a question which has kept me from shifting to ubuntu full fledgedly. Looking forward to hear from others.
I don't see what the problem really is. Ubuntu comes with the INSRIPT layout which I think is the best way to type using the standard keyboard.
Also, there are keyboards using which one can type क by pressing 'k' and ल by 'l', प by 'p', etc. But I won't recommend these "phonetic" layouts if you want to type devanagari for long time. The default Gedit text editor also works.

Praveen R. Bhat

Feb 12, 2017, 3:16:53 AM2/12/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Dhaval ji,

I shift between English and Sanskrit in the same document and therefore I prefer the Ubuntu's native keyboard support such as ibus with Harvard-Kyoto/ itrans. Moreover, being used to qwerty keyboard, my fingers don't have to learn the new keyboard layout.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
/* Through what should one know That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः

Feb 12, 2017, 4:34:05 AM2/12/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

You can create own keyboard layout and use it.
I first created one for Windows. Then I created a layout almost similar to that for Linux.
You just need to do some Google search.
Even on Mac I'm using similar layout.

Dr BVK Sastry

Feb 12, 2017, 12:59:33 PM2/12/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

Namaste

On the observations, I have a lingering issue and desire to share it on the forum. Do we have a home team really desiring and willing to do what it takes to develop a ‘Samskruth Language Appropriate Technology’ ?

My observations ( -personal opinion with the simple question: What is the action plan to achieve the goal covered by the statement :  Sanskrit is best suited language for computers’.)

  :

1.  < I prefer the Ubuntu's native keyboard support such as ibus with Harvard-Kyoto/ itrans. >  Here the Non-English USER ( and in the context, the Devanagari Sanskrit script character in-putter to the document),    is re-adjusting the ‘Language Related Mindset’  to the ‘Techno-Linguist  Provided  layout and conveniences’.

2. On < Moreover, being used to qwerty keyboard, my fingers don't have to learn the new keyboard layout.   >

First one is  Sellers offer  to make ‘Devanagari run on given Anglicized Keyboard layout’.

Second one is Native Language users reluctance to change from the addictive convenience of typing ‘Devanagari  through English’.

The Font setting, Browser issues are  related further down the line which are band-aid patches, and the like are  the price being paid for not addressing the primary issue  hidden in the  80’s statement: Sanskrit is best suited language for computers’.

Till the ‘ native language community  users mindset related  to ‘Devanagari Language working on the ‘  lent comforts by roman script based technology’,  the Samskruth Language Appropriate Technology will not find an opportunity to evolve and develop, beyond these ‘ patch-solutions’.

Look forward for those members who have a passion for Samskruth- Technology.

Regards

BVK Sastry

Praveen R. Bhat

Feb 12, 2017, 7:40:09 PM2/12/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Sastry ji,

True in the context of Sanskrit being best suited language for computers, but since my statements are highlighted, they are also in a context; my हेतु is reiterated herewith: "I shift between English and Sanskrit in the same document and therefore..."

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
/* Through what should one know That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */

विश्वासो वासुकेयः

Feb 12, 2017, 8:24:21 PM2/12/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्, sanskrit-programmers
Install the following packages:

iBus-m17n
ibus-qt4
m17n-db
m17n-contrib
ttf-indic-fonts

Then use one of the many options available in m17n (such as ITRANS or OPTITRANS).

Please note that some (latest) versions of Chrome, Firefox and Opera break these input methods (esp. on spreadsheets and such) - so you may need to do some reverting. Also, in some corner cases, font display is not good (can be fixed by switching to something like noto-sans-devanAgarI).

शनिवार, 11 फ़रवरी 2017 को 11:00:33 अपर UTC-8 को, dhaval ने लिखा:

Dr BVK Sastry

Feb 12, 2017, 10:12:51 PM2/12/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

Namaste Praveen

1. I appreciate your reasoning justified < in a context> to display <Roman and Devanagari in the same document, given the limitation and frame work of Technologies of Character : Keying in, Display, Transmission and Word- Processing  needs.>.  This issue is one way connected to the discussions on another thread related to ‘Aryaa –Geetikaa : singing of Arya composition, and the History –evidence for the name of Aryabhatta /Aryabhata.

I hope you will read through this post till the end, contemplate on the references provided and their implication for  finding ‘Rightful place of Samskrutham in Digital Technology with a Language Appropriateness, without surrendering the Sovereign nature of Vedanga  Language (rules used by  Panini) to the Self-declared IPA Standards based on  English like Language standards for scripting and voice.

If I may restate your signature line reading < Through what should one know That owing to which all this is known  >,  I would say < Through what should one know as SAMSKRUTHAM LANGUAGE STANDARDS,  That owing to which all this SAID TO BE STATED AND CONTAINED IN SAMSKRTHAM  is known  >.

Living like a ‘Roman in Rome’ is NOT the same as ‘ Living by Native Identity in < Home  Language Context’ >.  ‘ Font rendering, browser tweaking , App’s running on a given system are no different than what Sri La Prabhupada has already pointed to. This approach needs a further fundamental augmentation and review.

2.    I do not know how much Swadeshi Indology and Battle:Sanskrit teams understand or care for these ‘  root cutting digestions in operation over the last four decades or more ! from the ‘ mostly misunderstood and less cognized threats from Techno-Linguistics and  living in the sphere of  Anglo- Amor and Anglo-phobia.  I do understand they have their ‘directive and priorities’.

3. Living by hype of ‘ historic heritage pride’ is not  the same as administering the right medicine for health. So is the solution to hype up animosity on ‘Whos wrong it  is?

    This is what I am highlighting :Do we have a TEAM who would address the claim: Samskruth is best suited language for Computers,  from abinitio phase ? Support it appropriately beyond asking for  ‘Free Voluntarism’! I am yet to come across even a finger count number of persons on this issue, in case this is as real and critical as I perceive. If anyone interested, please contact me off the forum.

2. The < lingering issue>  that I am pointing to,  is  on HOW TO OVERCOME  the < mindset  and the directives to which these  challenges are anchored >,  and are making it difficult to propose a plausible  system and method to :

2a)  < (i)retrain the mind-map  for Keyboard Character layout  by  Language appropriate characters >: The HMI Solution approach

and

2b) < (ii) overcome the slightest discomfort experience for a change and preference for continued  use of inappropriate solutions, even when it means the ‘ life and death of a language’! >. : Retraining of user-fingers for Native Language Usage.

3.       I share below some points, to show how deep this  disability feature of  ‘ Devanagari script display rendering on systems, is  walking on the borrowed feet and presentation through the veil of  ‘Roman Alphabet Character set’ ;  How long this model has been present and  been promoted.

         This is  an important issue and a paradigm shift needed in Samskruth Studies, the  modeling of Language Learning –Teaching-Surviving issue.

         Today we have on a scale of one to  a million,  people who love to talk about Sanskrit and what is said in it, who can talk about everything in Sanskrit and ‘ who do not speak Samskrutham’,  turning  a blind eye to the ‘ Language Standard Retention’ on native standards and terms. Because , one of the American University standards suggested and set a guideline  that a Sanskrit learner need not speak a single word of Samskruth !  It is a ‘Classical Language’.

4.     After perusing the points below,  may I request you  to  ‘ meditate on the  methods that have been in use to spread the ‘  thoughts in Samskrutham’ (= the primary fruit)  for the benefit of  larger users as Juice (= technology solutions for  Brahmi-Devanagari Samskruth language character display  under the constrictions of  ‘ Roman Alphabet Character set, sequence and systems’.    And why is it a < lingering issue>  for a language-  traditionalist.

5.    Here below are the points to explore:

5a) In the past, the scripting convention of several languages of India were derived from a discipline called ‘Lipi-Shaastra’, which now seems to be an extant name and tradition. The design of Tibetan script, the Japanese script are said to have been from the frame work of Devanagari Sanskrit. A similar view is presented about the Greek and Latin; but it is a slippery  zone and I am not pushing this debate any further here; it is not relevant.

5b)  How Tibetan script got its design  from Devanagari :  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari#cite_note-21 ; see foot note reference  ) The 7th-century Tibetan king Srong-tsan-gambo ordered that all foreign books be transcribed into the Tibetan language. He sent his ambassador Tonmi Sambota to India to acquire alphabet and writing methods; returning with Sanskrit Nagari script from Kashmir corresponding to 24 Tibetan sounds and innovating new symbols for 6 local sounds.[21] Other closely related scripts such as Siddham Matrka was in use in Indonesia, Vietnam, Japan and other parts of East Asia by between 7th- to 10th-century.[22][23] Sharada remained in parallel use in Kashmir. An early version of Devanagari is visible in the Kutila inscription of Bareilly dated to Vikram Samvat 1049 (i.e. 992 CE), which demonstrates the emergence of the horizontal bar to group letters belonging to a word.[2] One of the oldest surviving Sanskrit text from early post-Maurya period available consists of 1,413 Nagari pages of a commentary by Patanjali, with a composition date of about 150 BCE, the surviving copy transcribed about 14th century CE.[24]

5c) Limitations of IPA:  ( https://linguischtick.wordpress.com/2015/03/06/the-ipa-the-vowel-chart/)        The IPA is supposed to be a one-to-one system: one sound = one symbol. Writing /ae/ risks confusing the reader into thinking that there are two vowel sounds, not one. You can draw it as one character by starting with the top-left of the hook in the ‘a’, looping around into the ‘e’, then looping around back without taking your pencil off the paper....      Diacritics are used in cases where it would be confusing or unnecessary if completely new symbols were introduced. There’s no need for special nasal vowel symbols, since it would obscure an articulatory relationship between vowels. We can tell from looking at /i/ and /ĩ/ that they are similar vowels, and that’s very useful.   There are dozens of diacritics in the IPA, used for both consonants and vowels.

5d) Recommendations  in the letter dated 31 Dec 1971, by  Sri La Prabhupada for  preferred  use of diacritics for ‘ outreach’ of Gita text and message :  (http://prabhupadabooks.com/letters/bombay/december/31/1971/jadurani?d=1   and http://rtvik.com/  ) :

1. What was Śrīla Prabhupāda’s definition of the word, “henceforward?”:

The following is Śrīla Prabhupāda’s final, written, signed order on Sanskrit diacritics. As usual, it’s crystal-clear and doesn’t leave any room for speculation and/or interpretation by the “intellectual class.”

Prabhupāda: In reply to Jayādvaita’s questions, henceforward the policy for using diacritic markings is that I want them used everywhere, on large books, small books and also BTG. If there is any difficulty with the pronunciation, then after the correct diacritic spelling, in brackets the words “pronounced as _,” may be written. So even on covers the diacritic markings should be used. We should not have to reduce our standard on account of the ignorant masses. Diacritic spelling is accepted internationally, and no learned person will even care to read our books unless this system is maintained. (Letter to Jadurāṇī, 31 December, 1971)

Here, it’s obvious that Śrīla Prabhupāda’s definition of the word “henceforward” is the same as the dictionary definition:   henceforward - from this time forth; from now on.

Obviously, the GBC and the BBT Trustees understood this directive to mean the dictionary definition, because they didn’t suddenly stop using Sanskrit diacritics in Śrīla Prabhupāda’s books and in BTG magazine after Śrīla Prabhupāda’s physical departure!

I hope this helps to understand why I called this as < lingering issue> , a residual smell in the vessel long after the contents have been emptied out.

Regards

BVK Sastry

Feb 14, 2017, 11:09:07 AM2/14/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Sastry ji,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Dr BVK Sastry <sastr...@gmail.com> wrote:

1. I appreciate your reasoning justified < in a context> to display <Roman and Devanagari in the same document, given the limitation and frame work of Technologies of Character : Keying in, Display, Transmission and Word- Processing  needs.>.

This is precisely why I restricted my answer to the context of my current needs. Perhaps, it would be the same for those who are already trained in typing *only* on qwerty. There is a certain bias most of us have when it comes to something one is already comfortable with, needless to mention if one is even good at, which is a bias against learning something new.

I hope you will read through this post till the end, contemplate on the references provided and their implication for  finding ‘Rightful place of Samskrutham in Digital Technology with a Language Appropriateness, without surrendering the Sovereign nature of Vedanga  Language (rules used by  Panini) to the Self-declared IPA Standards based on  English like Language standards for scripting and voice.

I did read through your post more than once and since I am inline with your thinking at most places, I shall stick to the above sentence which is like a संग्रहवाक्य. However, I would like to say that exploiting the computer-friendliness of the language cannot be divorced from language and script learning which needs to be followed as a कर्तव्यता right from school level. IMHO, it is unfortunate that most of our states have *only* regional language scripts for Shrutis, Smritis, other scriptures and classical works. That should also change in favour of Devanagari, else the English-script will be replaced by a regional script.

On a related note, we were asked by an ashram to declare on the govt census-sheet that our mother-tongue is Sanskrit and not a regional language, so that the language is preserved by pushing the govt to focus more on Sanskrit, via TV programmes, etc, and stop it from becoming a classical language. More such things need to be done.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
/* येनेदँ सर्वं विजानाति, तं केन विजानीयात्। Through what should one know That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */

Durga Prasada Rao Chilakamarthi

Feb 25, 2017, 1:44:20 AM2/25/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Regarding the queries on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, i recommend to reach out to Ubuntu forums 'Ask Ubuntu' you should be getting immediate help.

Alternatively you can take recommendation from forum if this issue is resolved in Ubuntu 16.04 LTS which is the latest Long Term Support version.

Please let me know in case any additional details are required.

Dipesh Katira

Feb 25, 2017, 10:45:19 AM2/25/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

मम क्लेशः अपगतः! धन्यो़ऽस्मि!

Dipesh Katira

Feb 25, 2017, 10:51:48 AM2/25/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
I write in Gujarati as well as in Devanagari. In my ubuntu 14.04 LTS text entry settings I get an option to select inscript Gujarati but in Hindi, Marathi or Sanskrit where Devanagari is used, options such as KaGaPa, WX, Bolnagri etc. are only available. I want to use inscript devanagari. Please guide.

उज्ज्वल राजपूत

Feb 25, 2017, 8:09:35 PM2/25/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
   I want to use inscript devanagari. Please guide.
Indian इत्यभिधीयते स देवनागरीइँस्क्रिप्टो विधिरुबुण्टौ।