~ Vyakarana-chandrodaya, the missing volumes (now uploaded) ~

Hari Parshad Das

Dec 21, 2018, 1:40:19 PM12/21/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear vidvaj-janas,

my pranams.

Since long it was my cherished desire to have soft-copies of all five volumes of Vyākaraṇa-candrodaya authored by Shri Charudeva Shastri. As most of you may be knowing, Vyakarana Chandrodaya is an excellent learning companion for all vidvāns, and it is composed of five volumes in totality. Volumes 2 and 5 were already available on the internet at the following links:

In 2016, I had managed to find first volume in an old bookstore, scan it and upload it on my archive page. Its link is as follows:

I tried to find the remaining volumes (3,4) unsuccessfully at various book stores and libraries in India, and even contacted the son of the author. Unfortunately however I failed to convince him to give his set of physical books for scanning.

Finally, good news is that a kind Gaudiya Vaishnava friend of mine staying in the US agreed to take the efforts to find the missing volumes and get them scanned for me.

I'm happy to inform all the vidvans that these remaining volumes have now been scanned and uploaded. Here are the links to the newly uploaded Volumes 3 and 4:

We now have all the volumes of Vyakarana Chandrodaya online, and I pray to Krishna that all the kind-hearted sāragrāhī vidvāns will be pleased with this effort.

sādhu-caraṇa-rajo'bhilāṣī,

hari parshad das.

उपकृतं यमलार्ज्जुनयोर्ध्रुवं
सिततनूजनुषैव यशोदया ।
विदितबन्धनपीड इवैष तौ
मुनिविनिग्रहतो यदमूमुचत् ॥

Translation: [Let anyone say that the highest favor on the Yamalārjuna trees was bestowed by Shri Krishna. However, for me] it is certain that the greatest favor on the Yamalārjuna trees was bestowed by the radiant-bodied Mother Yashoda. [It is only she who was able to tie Krishna to the mortar, and by doing so] she made the eternally liberated Lord realize the pain of bondage, and as a result of understanding such pain, the Lord immediately delivered the two trees from the pain of bondage caused by the curse of the sage Narada.

— Mahākavi Ḍhuṇḍhirāja Śāstrī, Bhāgavata-vyañjanam.

Madhav Deshpande

Dec 21, 2018, 1:46:55 PM12/21/18
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Thank you so much, Hari Parshad Das Ji.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan
[Residence: Campbell, California]

Narayan Prasad

Dec 22, 2018, 12:52:22 AM12/22/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste !

Thank you very much for uploading the books and providing links.
Even in 2008, I could not get a copy of Vol.3 from MLBD.
I had to send only 4 vols. as hard copy to my Russian friend. Vol.3 I had to take from a library and make a scanned copy and send it to him, as I remember.
Even not knowing Hindi at all, he could utilize both अष्टाध्यायी (भाष्य) प्रथमावृत्ति and व्याकरण चन्द्रोदय successfully. Later he procured a copy of the 3rd volume of the latter from a foreign agency only.
Regards.
Narayan Prasad

Yogesh Pandya

Dec 22, 2018, 12:58:32 AM12/22/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
My heartfelt PranAms to NarAyana PrasAdaji !!
Thank you very much for these links.

Yogesh N Panday.

Narayan Prasad

Dec 22, 2018, 1:51:46 AM12/22/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
>My heartfelt PranAms to NarAyana PrasAdaji !!
>Thank you very much for these links.

Yogesh ji,
   Namaste.

   It is actually Hari Prasad Das-ji who uploaded the files and gave links. So he deserves thanks.
   Regards
   Narayan Prasad

Yogesh Pandya

Dec 22, 2018, 2:42:27 AM12/22/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Special thanks to Hari PraSada DAsaji too.

On Saturday, 22 December 2018 11:28:32 UTC+5:30, Yogesh Pandya wrote:
My heartfelt PranAms to NarAyana PrasAdaji !!
Thank you very much for these links.

Yogesh N Panday.

Rishi Goswami

Dec 23, 2018, 10:05:41 PM12/23/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
I had a question about this book.

A person who studies Kaumudi, is it required for him to read these 5 books? I have heard a lot of praise, hence asking out of curiosity.

Narayan Prasad

Dec 24, 2018, 2:27:31 AM12/24/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
<<A person who studies Kaumudi, is it required for him to read these 5 books?>>

So far as प्रक्रिया is concerned, presentation of grammar is much better in व्याकरण चन्द्रोदय compared to any कौमुदी works.
If smb is not interested in knowing the rules and hurriedly wants to know the word forms, one can also do it by just mugging up from the tables provided (esp. in Vol.3, dealing with तिङन्त, and vol.4, dealing with सुबन्त).

Best wishes
Narayan Prasad

Hari Parshad Das

Dec 3, 2021, 2:28:52 PM12/3/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
dear vidvaj-janas,

my pranams.

It has come to my notice that some volumes of Vyākaraṇa-candrodaya of Śrī Cārudeva Śāstrī are missing even from archive.org

For this reason, I have zipped all volumes in a single file. The file can be downloaded from any one of the following links:

sādhu-caraṇa-rajo'bhilāṣī,

hari pārṣada dāsa.

Vineet Chaitanya

Dec 4, 2021, 12:46:19 AM12/4/21
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
praNama Hari Prasad Dasji,
Thanks a lot for the links to the zipped file.