What is the meaning of ಎನ ena (f.) in Kannada?

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Oct 12, 2018, 9:29:36 AM10/12/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear sir,

What is the meaning of ಎನ ena (f.) in Kannada?

ena.jpg

Regards
Ramana murthy

Nagaraj Paturi

Oct 12, 2018, 2:49:58 PM10/12/18
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Sri Ramana Murthy-ji,

The information provided by you is not sufficient to discuss the topic.

Is ಎನ you mention a suffix or an independent word?

What is the context of your snapshot?

Is the 'feminine' here streesma which means 'similar to the streelinga words of Sanskrit in having lopa as the form of sup

or semantic feminine of the south Indian languages?

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director, Indic Academy of Sanskrit and Indological Studies.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

RamanaMurthy Bathala

Oct 13, 2018, 1:06:16 AM10/13/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Dear sir,

Thanks for the reply.

The word ಎನ ena (f.) is an independent kannada word. I am referring the Kannada grammar book:

A MODERN CANARESE GRAMMAR-1899-Ed.I-A S MUD BHATKAL Page No.51

The context is the declension of nouns in Kannada and the author has given two words ಸೇವಕ (సేవక) and ಎನ (ఎన) as two feminine words. Please see the screen shot for more information.

ena-declension.jpg

1) ಸೇವಕ (సేవక) is a masculine word, but in the book it is given as feminine word. The feminine word is ಸೇವಕಳು (సేవకళు).

2) I tried to find the meaning of the ಎನ (ఎన) but could not get the convincing one. The meanig given does not look like feminine noun. See the screen shot.

(From : Dictionary Canarese and English by William Reeve)

ena-dictinary.jpg

I would be thankful if you provide the meaning and declensions in plural.

of ಎನ (ఎన)

One more doubt:

Here are the declensions of ಮಾತೃ (మాతృ).

Please see just the markings (to save time).

maatru-declension.jpg

Grammatically, Genitive Plural has three forms: ಮಾತೃರ (మాతృర), ಮಾತೃಗಳ (మాతృగళ) and ಮಾತೃರುಗಳ (మాతృరుగళ).

The first one ಮಾತೃರ is given in the book. Can you please confirm the existence and usage of the other two forms viz., ಮಾತೃಗಳ and ಮಾತೃರುಗಳ.?

I searched on line for the word ಮಾತೃರುಗಳ but could not find even single occurrence.

maatru-google.jpg

Regards

Ramana murthy