Help request from scholars on two terms वर्ण - अक्षर

BVK Sastry (G-S-Pop)

Jul 4, 2022, 12:55:47 AM7/4/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

Namaste

I seek help from scholars  in understanding the traditional perspective and distinctions between two technical terms noted below. The terms seem to occur in different contextual connotations, yet interconnected in with Samskruth Language studies and related Philosophy and Gita studies.

The two terms are :  वर्ण -   अक्षर

[ I do understand each ‘acharya’ invokes the technicality of Samskruth grammar contextually and differently; and I a mortal  just trust their vision and wisdom.

I am confused on which of these terms clearly maps to the ‘understanding of ‘Alphabet – Characters’  as basic units in Samskruth Language computations and  standards coding.

This clarity is not needed or debated for ‘Roman alphabet –character set !  So  the quest here becomes specific and focused to Samskruth / Brahmi /Indic language computational linguistics. ]

My reason to seek this clarification:

a) Shikshaa shaastra ( apparently -?)  speaks of : वर्ण-स्वर-मात्रा-बल-साम-सन्तान

b) Gita uses terms : वर्णाकृति - अक्षर-ब्रह्म - शब्द-ब्रह्म

C) We have terms like -  ब्रह्माक्षर – अर्धाक्षर which carry special meaning.

d) Panini Shiva-sutras are called ‘वर्णाक्षर-समाम्नाय’ . The clarity on ‘technicality of varna and akshara’ is raised in Mahabhashya itself.  The snippets below are to highlight the debate related to the distinction of Varna and Akshara.

e) Other relevant snippets that seem to be connected with the above discussion.

Regards

BVK Sastry

image002.jpg
image006.jpg