Menstruation of rivers - Is this true?

Ramesh Kn

Nov 15, 2019, 4:25:59 AM11/15/19
वेदाश्छन्दांसि सर्वाणि
ब्रह्माद्याश्च दिवौकसः।
जलार्थिनोSथ पितरो,
मरीच्याद्यास्तथर्षयः।।
समागमस्तु तत्रैषां
तत्र हत्यादयो मलाः।
नूनं सर्वे क्षयं यान्ति
किमुतैकं नदीरजः।।
स्रोत - कात्यायन स्मृति/अध्याय-१०, श्लोक संख्या- ५ से १०।

K S Kannan

Nov 15, 2019, 4:40:42 AM11/15/19
to bvparishat
The first rains awash carry as a baggage a great deal of dirt.

This is taken as a symbol - of something higher, not just as some deterrent factor.
The fact is enough to repulse those given to cleanliness;
but those who are sensitive to higher issues,
stop not at mere cleanliness.

But then there can be a hierarchy of factors too,
where what we feel as good enough may not actually be adequate,
and what we feel as negative may get overruled by something more positive.

The matter, in other words, is technical.
Technical issues are, after all, not to be resolved via common-sense arguments.

Dr. K.S.Kannan  D.Litt.

​Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj Chair Professor, IIT-Madras.

Senior Fellow, ICSSR, New Delhi.

Academic Director, Swadeshi Indology.

Nominated Member, IIAS, Shimla.

Former Professor, CAHC, Jain University, Bangalore.

Former Director, Karnataka Samskrit University, Bangalore.

Former Head, Dept. of Sanskrit, The National Colleges, Bangalore.

Damodara Dasa

Nov 15, 2019, 7:23:33 AM11/15/19
to bvparishat
Hare Krishna.

>> Is this true?

This very question is in question.

I would like to ask the questioner -- how would one come to conclusion "is this true or not?"
Who will decide "Is this true?"
Based on what criteria?
Based on which evidence or pramana, and which source of evidence?
How much can we rely on such a source of evidence?
And last but not the least -- how do presuppose that we have sufficient intelligence which cannot be mistaken to understand this?

Ardent followers of the Vedas overcome all these questions by accepting Vedas as eternal truth passed on through a chain of Teachers or acharyas as it is. So if Katyayana Smrti is valid smrti passed on by Katyayana and it is based on sruti, then "it is true," whether we may be able to understand it or not based on our pratyaksa and anumana.

Hari Guru Vaisnava das,
damodara das

Nagaraj Paturi

Nov 15, 2019, 8:37:36 AM11/15/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Is a river a woman?

Factually, no.

But is it not true that rivers are viewed as women?

What aspects of rivers are viewed as their feminity?

If you ponder over these questions, you will be able to understand what aspects of rivers are being viewed as menstruation.

Do rivers fertilize?

Please think. You are sure to get rewarded.

Shashi Joshi

Nov 15, 2019, 8:47:43 AM11/15/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Whatever happened to kAvyAlankAra?
If we take everything literally, what a sad state of human evolution!

What does narapungava mean?
A new species?

Thanks,
Shashi

Rishi Goswami

Nov 16, 2019, 7:39:30 AM11/16/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
I'm not a manuscriptologist or researcher. So if the question deals with the authenticity of verses, it is questionable.

But if it is about the authenticity of Siddhanta, it is believable. If Rivers can Marry,they can give birth to sons and kill them, why not bleed? It is the Adhidaivika Swarupa the verses might be talking about.

Damodara Dasa

Nov 16, 2019, 11:54:08 PM11/16/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
>> It is the Adhidaivika Swarupa the verses might be talking about.

Exactly. This, I feel, should be our world-view. Adhidaivika svarupa
may manifest in manifest world as adhibhautika i.e. in the form of
waters etc.

A crude example to try to understand:
If a king comes he comes with bog entourage and a common man is
usually able to see the entourage (energy of the king). As the king
moves the whole entourage moves and we say the king moved from point A
to point B. Entourage is the manifestation of the king, who can be
taken as the real person being talked about.