Fate of IA

K S Kannan

Jun 26, 2024, 3:05:13 AM (7 days ago) Jun 26
to bvparishat
News : Internet Archives  forced to remove 500k books!

What is the fate of IA ?
The courts seem to be taking a negative stand on it.

Is IA's defense in the court inadequate,
or some element/degree of illegality undermining its project ?

See these also:

A recent item - dt Jun 26 = today :

--
Dr. K.S.Kannan  D.Litt.

Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj Chair Professor (Retd.), IIT-Madras.

Member, Advisory Board, "Prof. A K Singh AURO Chair of Indic Studies", AURO University, Surat.
Member, Expert Committee for Review of Criticism of Indian Knowledge Traditions, Central Sanskrit University (under MoE, GoI), Ganganath Jha Campus, Prayagraj.
Adjunct Faculty, Dept of Heritage Science and Technology, IIT Hyderabad.
Nominated Member, Academic Committee, Kavi Kula Guru Kalidasa University, Ramtek.
Member, Academic Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthana.
Academic Director, Swadeshi Indology.
Nominated Member, IIAS, Shimla.

Former Professor, CAHC, Jain University, Bangalore.

Former Director, Karnataka Samskrit University, Bangalore.

Former Head, Dept. of Sanskrit, The National Colleges, Bangalore.

https://sites.google.com/view/kskannan

K S Kannan

Jun 26, 2024, 3:48:55 AM (7 days ago) Jun 26
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
More particularly, how have we been affected right now : have Sanskrit books/
related publications pertaining to Indic heritage been removed, too ?:
how much has been lost?

Or, has the focus been on (non-Indological) Western publications, primarily?

Any way of getting to know which of the
books of the above categories removed now/recently?

And any way to retrieve them?

K S Kannan

Jun 26, 2024, 4:08:32 AM (7 days ago) Jun 26
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Incidentally, it may be an interesting topic for some bibliophile's research :
to trace thus far the growth of Indic/Indological literature
in the realm of Internet Archives (including the history of additions/deletions),
and shedding much light on who all among Indians/foreigners have
contributed (how many/how important) texts (annotated/unannotated),
critical essays etc. etc. under various DDC headings etc.

Abhay Rathore

Jun 26, 2024, 6:00:52 AM (7 days ago) Jun 26
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
So far as I've seen it, there hasn't been any meaningful difference on the Sanskrit books. About every one of them is still up there. This apparently is about Western publishers and not really those from India. I consider that the removal may have affected titles from the plaintiffs alone, but the rest of it is still there.

Sastry MVR

Jun 27, 2024, 1:27:12 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

IA has definitely been of great help for archiving our ancient texts and  till this date a lot of volunteers are scanning and uploading scanned books. With IA running into risk of being shut down or curtailed which could lead to reduced funding to sustain it, I suggest considering digital libraries based in India to mitigate this risk.

One such India based digital library is Samskrita Bharati’s   “ebharati Sampat- digital library” (ebharatisampat.in).  Ancient sanskrit texts are scanned, uploaded and later digitized into searchable unicode texts. With the support of IKS Div (AICTE) several books have been digitised in the last 2 years. 200,000 pages of digitization is planned in this fiscal year.  I am leading the project for Samskrita Bharati  based at Aksharam, Bangalore.

We would be more than happy to support efforts of organisations and individuals working tirelessly in visiting libraries and scanning  rare books by storing/archiving them on  ebharati sampat platform.  We only check for duplicates and copyrights before accepting pdfs.  Focus is on Sanskrit Texts.

Regards
MVR Sastry

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 27, 2024, at 4:44 AM, bvpar...@googlegroups.com wrote:

venkat veeraraghavan <vvenk...@gmail.com>: Jun 26 09:35AM -0700

Dear Vidvans,

Namaste.

I am looking for physical copies of the book

"the taittiriya pratisakhya with the commentaries of somayarya and gargya
gopalayajvan".

Or atleast a full, good quality scan.

It was published as part of the Government Oriental Library Series.

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,

Venkat
K S Kannan <ks.kann...@gmail.com>: Jun 26 12:34PM +0530

News : Internet Archives forced to remove 500k books!

What is the fate of IA ?
The courts seem to be taking a negative stand on it.

Is IA's defense in the court inadequate,
or some element/degree of illegality undermining its project ?

See these also:
https://publishingperspectives.com/2023/03/copyright-us-court-rules-against-internet-archive/
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=40754229
https://time.com/6266147/internet-archive-copyright-infringement-books-lawsuit/

*A recent item - dt Jun 26 = today :*

https://blog.archive.org/tag/lawsuit/

--

K S Kannan <ks.kann...@gmail.com>: Jun 26 01:18PM +0530

On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 12:35 PM K S Kannan <ks.kann...@gmail.com>
wrote:

--
[...]

K S Kannan <ks.kann...@gmail.com>: Jun 26 01:38PM +0530

Incidentally, it may be an interesting *topic for *some bibliophile's *research
*:

Abhay Rathore <abhaysinghrat...@gmail.com>: Jun 26 02:30AM -0700

So far as I've seen it, there hasn't been any meaningful difference on the
Sanskrit books. About every one of them is still up there. This apparently
is about Western publishers and not really those from India. I consider
that the removal may have affected titles from the plaintiffs alone, but
the rest of it is still there.

On Wednesday, June 26, 2024 at 1:38:32 PM UTC+5:30 K S Kannan wrote:

अगरु <abhi.v...@gmail.com>: Jun 26 01:24AM -0700

Respected scholars,

Does anyone have a pdf copy of the following article by Professor SD Joshi?

"The Reflexive Constructions in Pāṇini." In CASS Studies, No. 6 (1982).
Pune, pp. 199-217.
"उषाराणी सङ्का" <usha....@gmail.com>: Jun 25 11:43PM -0700

Hariom.
Thank you so much sir. I went through the book by Batakrishna ji.
But I am looking for something from traditional point of view. I am finding
some inputs from different Bharatoya-view-pointed authors/scholars.
Will update if I succeed in making anything useful in this line.
Thanks again

On Friday, June 21, 2024 at 11:11:37 AM UTC+5:30 Siddharth Wakankar wrote:

"उषाराणी सङ्का" <usha....@gmail.com>: Jun 25 11:47PM -0700

Thank you Ken ji.
I am looking for more academic stuff. Will try to use whatever is helpful
my way.
Thanks again :)

On Friday, June 21, 2024 at 8:38:01 AM UTC+5:30 kenp wrote:

Amba Kulkarni <ambap...@gmail.com>: Jun 26 08:32AM +0200

Thank you Sai Susarla ji for clarification.

Best,
Amba

--

आ नो भद्रा: क्रतवो यन्तु विश्वत: ll
Let noble thoughts come to us from every side.

Professor & Head
Department of Sanskrit Studies
University of Hyderabad
Prof. C.R. Rao Road