जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी

Shriramana Sharma

Apr 20, 2017, 5:37:04 AM4/20/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
सभासद्भ्यो वन्दनानि। “अपि स्वर्णमयी लङ्का न मे लक्ष्मण रोचते। जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी” इत्येतद् वाक्यं भगवता श्रीरामेण उक्तम् इति बहुधा श्रूयते। परन्तु विद्यमानेषु रामायणसंस्करणेषु नोपलभ्यते इत्यपि। वाल्मीकीये नास्ति चेदपि अन्यत्र स्यात्। एतद् वाक्यं वस्तुतः कुत्र वर्तते इति काण्डसर्गादिनिर्देशेन वक्तुं शक्येत चेत् नितराम् उपकृताः स्याम।
 नमो नमः।

ajit.gargeshwari

Apr 20, 2017, 6:06:39 AM4/20/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Nagaraj Paturi

Apr 20, 2017, 7:10:29 AM4/20/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link, Dr Gargeshwari.

The last of the posts in the thread is interesting:

I wonder if members have looked at this page:

These links are provided by a member of another group. The first link specifically mentions the edition in which the second half occurs.

This sloka is seen in the edition published by Hindi Prachara Press, Madras in 1930 by T.R. Krishna chary, Editor and T. R. Vemkoba chary the publisher.

But it doesn't have the first half usually found quoted with it. May some other editions or manuscripts  may have it. Need to be checked in the Critical Edition interpolated verses.

What could be the source of the  edition published by Hindi Prachara Press, Madras in 1930 by T.R. Krishna chary, Editor and T. R. Vemkoba chary the publisher ?
The whole skepticism around the line anchors on to 'janmabhoomi' being a patriotism based neologism and patriotism being a modern idea.
Was there a word search done for janmabhoomi , or with uttarapada being replaced by one of its synonyms?

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )

Nagaraj Paturi

Apr 20, 2017, 7:47:01 AM4/20/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to mention that the last post of the older thread pointed to by Dr Gargeshwari and mentioned by me in my previous post was by none other than our venerable Dr H N Bhat (Harinarayana Bhat, BR MA PhD)-ji.

Ajit Gargeshwari

Apr 20, 2017, 8:18:55 AM4/20/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
I have head mataadapi instead of svargaadapi. May be this tertiary source may throw some light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emblem_of_Nepal
​​

Regards
Ajit Gargeshwari
न जायते म्रियते वा कदाचिन्नायं भूत्वा भविता वा न भूयः।
अजो नित्यः शाश्वतोऽयं पुराणो न हन्यते हन्यमाने शरीरे।।2.20।।

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Nagaraj Paturi <nagara...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

This has been discussed. Please see here
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bvparishat/ksTXkAOd87Y/discussion

On Thursday, 20 April 2017 15:07:04 UTC+5:30, Shriramana Sharma wrote:
सभासद्भ्यो वन्दनानि। “अपि स्वर्णमयी लङ्का न मे लक्ष्मण रोचते। जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी” इत्येतद् वाक्यं भगवता श्रीरामेण उक्तम् इति बहुधा श्रूयते। परन्तु विद्यमानेषु रामायणसंस्करणेषु नोपलभ्यते इत्यपि। वाल्मीकीये नास्ति चेदपि अन्यत्र स्यात्। एतद् वाक्यं वस्तुतः कुत्र वर्तते इति काण्डसर्गादिनिर्देशेन वक्तुं शक्येत चेत् नितराम् उपकृताः स्याम।
 नमो नमः।

Shriramana Sharma

Apr 20, 2017, 8:27:20 AM4/20/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
उपकृतोऽस्मि। मयैव पूर्वम् एकदा अन्वेषणीयम् अभूत्। निर्णयो नास्तीति
निर्णय इत्येव प्रतीयते… 😃

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा

Shrivathsa B

Apr 20, 2017, 11:40:03 AM4/20/17
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
This was discussed a few years ago in this group and as far as I remember, the Shloka was traced to hanumannATakam.

On 20-Apr-2017 15:07, "Shriramana Sharma" <jama...@gmail.com> wrote:
सभासद्भ्यो वन्दनानि। “अपि स्वर्णमयी लङ्का न मे लक्ष्मण रोचते। जननी जन्मभूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी” इत्येतद् वाक्यं भगवता श्रीरामेण उक्तम् इति बहुधा श्रूयते। परन्तु विद्यमानेषु रामायणसंस्करणेषु नोपलभ्यते इत्यपि। वाल्मीकीये नास्ति चेदपि अन्यत्र स्यात्। एतद् वाक्यं वस्तुतः कुत्र वर्तते इति काण्डसर्गादिनिर्देशेन वक्तुं शक्येत चेत् नितराम् उपकृताः स्याम।
 नमो नमः।

Nagaraj Paturi

Apr 20, 2017, 12:41:27 PM4/20/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
It will be helpful if the thread is traced.

Nityanand Misra

Apr 20, 2017, 7:17:08 PM4/20/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Julius J. Lipner (Translator) (2005). Chatterji, Bankimcandra. Anandamath, or The Sacred Brotherhood. Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK. ISBN 978-01-95346-33-6. p. 241:VMBS (Sabyasachi Bhattacharya’s Vande Mataram: The Biography of a Song) says that this eulogy of the mother and the birthland ocurred in the version of Valmiki’s Ramayana current in Bengal.

Purushothaman Avaroth

Apr 23, 2017, 12:18:15 AM4/23/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Posting an old mail from the late scholar Desiraju Hanumanta Rao .

Purushothaman

From: Desiraju Hanumanta Rao <desira...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [mahabharata_study] Re: jananI janmabhUmishcha
To: kanak...@yahoo.com, "Purushothaman Avaroth" <purushothaman_avaroth@yahoo.com>, mahabharata_study@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, 23 March, 2010, 7:36 PM

This verse is appearing in the southern edition to which the editor is T. R. KrishnAchArya; publisher is T. R. venkobAchArya,  printed in Hindi PrachAra Press, Madras, 1930. This info is there inat page 899 of yuddha kANDa vol II the Telugu edn published by Arsha vijnAna Trust, headed by the Retd. Justice Pamidighantam Kondanramayya gAru, .

What I mean to say is that this verse is not the dialog of Rama to Lakshmana or Vibhishana, as is being circulated among public. But this is sage bharadwaaja' s dialog to raama.

I have searched Lahore edn and some more - it is not there. yet to search sourthern edn, edn of asiatic society and gorakhpur edn.

Gita press version, though they say theirs is Gorakhpur version, it differs a lot with gorakhpur edn proper.

Desiraju