Hindu Dharma for Students

Krishnakumar M

Apr 26, 2018, 1:13:35 AM4/26/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste,

In the thread "The Scholar Whom Audrey Truschke Cites Finds Her Tweet ‘Shocking’"  saw the message by Dr Nagaraj Paturi ji with link to "The Ramayana..." by Prof. Vishal Aggarwal in the "Hindu Dharma for Students" series.  Amazing book for children (and adults too).  Are the rest of the books in the series available?

Best regards,

Krishna Kumar M

Vishal Agarwal

May 9, 2018, 10:21:50 PM5/9/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaskar! Volumes 1-7 of the series are posted online at the link below. After a week, you will find volumes 8 (beta version at   (HinduHeroes_Complete.pdf ) and 9 too as I have sent them to the webmaster to upload them. These 9 books are for students from KG to 8 and are progressively more complex in nature. The books represent the framework that we use in our classrooms, and the actual material (videos, handouts etc.) are extra. We have a descriptive story telling format and extra material includes learning Sanskrit verses/stotras as well as Bhajans in many different languages (for example, Hindi speakers too learn Bhajans in Marathi etc., and likewise Marathis learn Bhajans in other languages) which we sing collectively. Beyond 5th std., the emphasis is a lot on classroom discussions, and in standard 7-9, we have lots of interfaith discussions and also field trips to Gurudwaras etc.

The 10th book for Std. 9 (on the Four Yogas) will be posted this Summer, and so will be the 3000 page long or so mini encyclopedia for Adults once I have proof-read or formatted everything. The encyclopedia has about 200 sections arranged thematically, primarily under the Four Purushaarthas (of which the Dharma and Moksha sections are largely ready)

The presentation in ALL of these books is deliberately emic (insider perspective) and although I am familiar with outsider opinions, these are deliberately ignored and disregarded (especially in the encyclopedia) so that our tradition can speak for themselves.

Please note that the above textbooks website is a part of our local Sunday Hindu school website, which in turn is a part of our larger Education Committee of the Hindu Society of Minnesota (HSMN Education Committee )

We have an ocean of material that is being gradually uploaded here (thanks to an energetic webmaster) and this was all developed after teaching literally hundreds (or over a thousand) students over the last 12 years through community efforts. The material has been reviewed and commented upon by lay Hindus, teenagers, Pandits of our temple (whose kids have all been my students, while I have studied under their parents!) etc. All of this material is introductory to intermediate level in nature, not the advanced level material that most scholars of this list would perhaps want. The target audience is lay householder Hindus outside of the Indian subcontinent (and Bali and other traditional lands), and westernized Hindus everywhere.

All this material is kept freely downloadable deliberately so that everyone (particularly temples) can use it. Again, please keep checking because we have a lot in the pipeline that will be uploaded gradually.

Regards,

Vishal Agarwal

krishna kumar m

May 10, 2018, 2:50:59 AM5/10/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste!

Thanks a million for the public posting of the resources.  It is truly amazing work.

thanks & regards,

Aravinda Rao

May 10, 2018, 9:37:45 AM5/10/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
In this context I may attach a book I wrote some time ago exclusively for modern kids. It is titled 'How to Tell Hinduism to Your Child?' It may also be useful.

Aravinda Rao
How to tell Hinduism.pdf

Trichur Rukmani

May 12, 2018, 1:04:26 AM5/12/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Vishal you are doing yeoman service in preserving our culture and rich heritage. If ever you come to Bangalore do visit us. Remembering the old times
om
rukmani

Virendra

May 13, 2018, 3:33:05 PM5/13/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Found the other volumes. Thanks.

Virendra

May 13, 2018, 3:33:05 PM5/13/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste Vishal ji,
  (HinduHeroes_Complete.pdf )
Page 268 - map of India, please look at the Kashmir border drawn. Needs to be fixed, in my humble opinion.
Also, perhaps I'm being stupid here but couldn't find the other volumes of series at the link given. Could you please help me in locating.

Regards,
Virendra