Question on: Shankara Bhashya of 13th and 15th chapters of Gita.

Krishna Kashyap

Jul 3, 2022, 1:07:31 AM7/3/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
namaste everyone,

Disclaimer: I am not an expert; however I want to understand Shankarabhashya on Gita sincerely. The more I read, the more I know that I don't know much about Gitabhashya!☺😁 in general (this applies to all bhashyas).

Long Question on 13th and 15th chapter - shankara-bhashya

in the 13th chapter clearly, Shankaracharya states that kshetra includes everything other than kshetrajna. kshetra is jnana-badhya. Hence all that is to be sublated is kshetra including jivatma and all the universes put together.

kshetrajna is ishwara, who is same as jivatma, who is same as nirguna brahman. This was clearly stated in the 13th chapter.

However, explicitly, in the 15th chapter, which is supposed to be the summary of the entire gita or even the entire Vedanta, there is no direct mention of nirguna brahman!! Why is it so?

Here in the 15th chapter the three aspects mentioned are kshara - sarvani bhutani, akshara - mAyA, uttamah purushaha is Narayana - Ishana Sheelah (stated as mAm in Gita 15), which is saguna brahman. We can infer that Narayana is same as nirguna brahman by taking that equivalence of the three jiva, ishwara, nirguna brahman as stated in the 13th chapter. However, I was looking for an explicit mention of nirguna brahman in the 15th chapter which is the summary chapter!

See docs attached for details.

 I have attached my notes in the form of PowerPoint docs. Hope you can open these docs.

Please identify mistakes in my understanding and mention them so that I can learn.

Best Regards,
Krishna Kashyap

Concepts of Shankarabhashya on 15th chapter.pptx
Concepts in Shankara Bhashya chapter 13 onwards.pptx

V Subrahmanian

Jul 3, 2022, 3:36:21 AM7/3/22
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 10:37 AM Krishna Kashyap <kkashy...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Namaste

--,यः माम् ईश्वरं यथोक्तविशेषणम् एवं यथोक्तेन
प्रकारेण असंमूढः संमोहवर्जितः सन् जानाति अयम् अहम् अस्मि
इति पुरुषोत्तमं
सः सर्ववित्       15.19.

This part of the sentence of the bhashya is clear indication that the 'Purushottama' here is Nirguna Brahman as it is the identification 'I am He' in Advaita is with Nirguna Brahman and not Saguna Ishwara.

यतः एतत् परमार्थतत्त्वं मत्तः श्रुतवान् असि   15.20    The Paramartha Tattvam is Nirguna Brahman.

यो मामेवमसंमूढो जानाति पुरुषोत्तमम् । स सर्वविद्भजति मां सर्वभावेन भारत ॥ १९ ॥ The term Purushottama in this chapter, contextually, is Nirguna Brahman. This is also because 'jAnAti', knowing, is involved, for moksha. Also that which is beyond even Akshara that is explained as the Samsara beejam that is Maya, is Nirguna Brahman in Advaita. This is corroborated in the Mandukya Upanishad where the sixth mantra is about sarvagna sarveswara antharyami the source of the creation sustenance and dissolution of the universe. But the 7th Mantra which starts with नान्तःप्रज्ञं न बहिःप्रज्ञं... and has the shantam shivam advaitam प्रपञ्चोपशमं (unconnected with creation) and stated as  Chaturtham, स आत्मा, स विज्ञेयः (to be known) which is nirguna Brahman in Advaita. This is the same as the Purushottama of the 15 chapter which is also that which is beyond Akshara which is the source of creation it is the Brahman that is having Maya that is Akshara as its upadhi is called Saguna Brahman in Advaita. And this Purushottama is 'to be known, vijneya, to be known, realized, for moksha.

Thus, the term Purushottama represents the Nirguna Brahman of Advaita in the 15th Chapter.

regards
subrahmanian.v

See docs attached for details.

 I have attached my notes in the form of PowerPoint docs. Hope you can open these docs.

Please identify mistakes in my understanding and mention them so that I can learn.

Best Regards,
Krishna Kashyap

Krishna Kashyap

Jul 3, 2022, 7:12:27 AM7/3/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
I got confused by the vyakhyana of these verses: see underlined statements below:

उत्तमः पुरुषस्त्वन्यः परमात्मेत्युदाहृतः।

यो लोकत्रयमाविश्य बिभर्त्यव्यय ईश्वरः।।15.17।।

Sanskrit Commentary By Sri Shankaracharya

।।15.17।। --,उत्तमः उत्कृष्टतमः पुरुषस्तु अन्यः अत्यन्तविलक्षणः आभ्यां परमात्मा इति परमश्च असौ देहाद्यविद्याकृतात्मभ्यः? आत्मा च सर्वभूतानां प्रत्यक्चेतनः? इत्यतः परमात्मा इति उदाहृतः उक्तः वेदान्तेषु। स एव विशिष्यते यः लोकत्रयं भूर्भुवःस्वराख्यं स्वकीयया चैतन्यबलशक्त्या आविश्य प्रविश्य बिभर्ति स्वरूपसद्भावमात्रेण बिभर्ति धारयति अव्ययः न अस्य व्ययः विद्यते इति अव्ययः। कः ईश्वरः सर्वज्ञः नारायणाख्यः ईशनशीलः।।यथाव्याख्यातस्य ईश्वरस्य पुरुषोत्तमः इत्येतत् नाम प्रसिद्धम्। तस्य नामनिर्वचनप्रसिद्ध्या अर्थवत्त्वं नाम्नो दर्शयन् निरतिशयः अहम् ईश्वरः इति आत्मानं दर्शयति भगवान् --,

In this verse above, the terms ishara, sarvajna, narayanakhya, ishana sheelah - refer to saguna brahman right?

यो मामेवमसम्मूढो जानाति पुरुषोत्तमम्।

स सर्वविद्भजति मां सर्वभावेन भारत।।15.19।।

Sanskrit Commentary By Sri Shankaracharya

।।15.19।। --,यः माम् ईश्वरं यथोक्तविशेषणम् एवं यथोक्तेन प्रकारेण असंमूढः संमोहवर्जितः सन् जानाति अयम् अहम् अस्मि इति पुरुषोत्तमं सः सर्ववित् सर्वात्मना सर्वं वेत्तीति सर्वज्ञः सर्वभूतस्थं भजति मां सर्वभावेन सर्वात्मतया हे भारत।।अस्मिन् अध्याये भगवत्तत्त्वज्ञानं मोक्षफलम् उक्त्वा? अथ इदानीं तत् स्तौति -

Here above in this verse, I agree that, since it is said that sarvatmana, asammUdaha, etc. indicate that the person who knows without being influenced by any "maya". However, the idea that "ayam aham asmi" actually is taken by the information from 13th chapter and not stressed by the original words of the verse 15.19 right?

The verse itself states:

यो मामेवमसम्मूढो जानाति पुरुषोत्तमम्।स सर्वविद्भजति मां सर्वभावेन भारत।।15.19।।

here what does "bhajati" mean?

he is all-knowing. obviously the information from "kshetrajnam chaapi maam viddhi sarva kshetreshu bharatha" - 13.2 is used here to explain this verse. the original verse does not indicate - अयम् अहम् अस्मि इति

This is my point. Without using the information from 13th chapter, such a meaning of equivalence between jiva and ishwara cannot be understood by this verse or other verses of the 15th chapter.  I was expecting an explicit confirmation of the advaita view as established by Shankaracharya in 13.2 to be reiterated in the 15th chapter, if this chapter is taken as the summary of Gita.

Best Regards,

Krishna Kashyap

Raghavendra

Jul 3, 2022, 10:58:18 AM7/3/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

Krishna Kashyap Ji,

Disclaimer:

I follow tattva-vāda of Srī Madhvāchārya. I read works of other schools as well. I will try to answer your question based on the text of Srī Shankara himself. If there are mistakes, then it is entirely mine

Srī Shankara gives a keynote or central theme at the commencement of his bhāshya to each of the chapters of the BG. This is either called sambandha bhāshya or adhyāya sangati.

The sambandha bhāshya or the adhyāya sangati of the 15th chapter of the BG is given below,

यस्मात् मदधीनं कर्मिणां कर्मफलं ज्ञानिनां च ज्ञानफलम्, अतः भक्तियोगेन मां ये सेवंते ते मम प्रसादात् ज्ञानप्राप्तिक्रमेण गुणातीताः मोक्षं गच्छन्ति । किमु वक्तव्यम् आत्मनः तत्त्वमेव सम्यक् विजानन्तः इति अतः भगवान् अर्जुनेन अपृष्टोऽपि आत्मनः तत्त्वं विवक्षुः उवाच ‘ऊर्ध्वमूलम्’ इत्यादिना । तत्र तावत् वृक्षरूपककल्पनया वैराग्यहेतोः संसारस्वरूपं वर्णयति — विरक्तस्य हि संसारात् भगवत्तत्त्वज्ञाने अधिकारः, न अन्यस्येति ॥

With this keynote, Srī Shankara introduces the adhyāya, viz.,

श्रीभगवानुवाच —

ऊर्ध्वमूलमधःशाखमश्वत्थं प्राहुरव्ययम् ।

छन्दांसि यस्य पर्णानि यस्तं वेद स वेदवित् ॥१॥

The term गुणातीताः (transcending qualities) provides enough indication of what you are looking for, (the state of nirguNa). This position is bhāshyastha

I presume I answered your question viz., (I was expecting an explicit confirmation of the advaita view as established by Shankaracharya in 13.2 to be reiterated in the 15th chapter, if this chapter is taken as the summary of Gita)

The sambandha bhāshya or the adhyāya sangati and the bhāshya for each of the specific verses should be read contiguously, which helps clear doubts, more often than not.

Your second question relates to why the conclusions of the 13th chapter (especially 13.2) is not reflected in all its bearing in the 15th chapter? (If I have understood your question right)

Answer to the above question lies in the cintana-prakriyā of the school of Srī Shankara.

According to the cintana-prakriyā, the tvam-aspect and tat-aspect has already been covered severally (individually) in the first 12 chapters, the akhandārtha of tvam-aspect and tat-aspect is discussed in the remaining 6 chapters.

Therefore, the akhandārtha should be understood as running uninterrupted (anusyūta) in the last set of 6 chapters. If this is kept in view, then you will find the answer to your second question.

Thank you & Best regards,

Raghavendra. B

==================
Jul 3, 2022, 1:26:51 PM7/3/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste Raghavendra Ji,

My second question is not exactly what you stated: "Your second question relates to why the conclusions of the 13th chapter (especially 13.2) is not reflected in all its bearing in the 15th chapter? (If I have understood your question right)"

My second question is:
Does any of the original gita verses of the 15th chapter, state any strong view pertaining to "nirguna Brahman" as the highest or only real tattva? Since it is mentioned that 15th chapter is taken as the summary of Gita or entire vedanta shastra.
Here I am not looking for how Shankaracharya connects gunAtIta or nirguna brahman with the 15th chapter. As you have mentioned that it is clearly indicated in the sangati or context given in Shankara bhashya at the beginning of the 15th chapter and also mentioned in 15.19 as mentioned by V. Subrahmanian Ji.

Best Regards,

Krishna Kashyap

Nagaraj Paturi

Jul 3, 2022, 1:32:33 PM7/3/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Does any of the original gita verses of the 15th chapter, state any strong view pertaining to "nirguna Brahman" as the highest or only real tattva?

If there is any such strong and categorical  view already expressed in the Gita verses itself, there would have been any scope for the non Advaitic bhaashyakaaras to place their view.

--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Venkatesh Murthy

Jul 4, 2022, 1:36:52 AM7/4/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste

These Bhashyas have to be studied under a Guru in the Sampradaya and not by independent textual analysis. Independent study will lead to confusion and incorrect conclusions.

You may have heard of Dvaita scholars studying Advaita under traditional teachers and only then they tried to show Advaita conclusions are not correct.

Why so? Everything in a philosophy may not be explicitly written in a text. There will invariably be many things left unwritten.

What if no Guru is available? Then we must at least study not a Bhashya alone but also further commentaries or Vyakhyas  on it.

Vishal Agarwal

Jul 6, 2022, 12:55:12 AM7/6/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
The Gita uses two terms - Jnana and Vijnana. Bhagvatpada Shankaracharya understands the latter to mean experiential knowledge, whereas the former is more scholastic in nature.

In my opinion, Krishna uses Jnana largely to refer to Samkhyan knowledge, and Vijnana to Vedantic knowledge of Brahman/Ishvara (as in the Shruti 'Vedanta vijnana sunishchitaarthaa'). Of course, Upanishads use 'Vijnana' in other senses too - like Buddhi and Jivatma.

Gita 13.2 concerns Jnana.

The Gita is a Vedantic text because even while accepting the Samkhyan categories, it makes them subservient to Purushottama, Ishvara, Brahman; just as the Shvetashvatara Upanishad does.

Regards,

Vishal Agarwal