To Grammarians

Madhav Deshpande

Jul 16, 2021, 8:44:15 AM7/16/21
to Madhav Deshpande
To Grammarians

एकधो वा द्विधो वायमेकयो वा द्वियस्तथा ।
शब्दचिन्तां परित्यज्य सुध्युपास्य: सदा हरि: ।।

Whether he [or the word "sudhypāsya"] has two “dh”s or one, or two “y”s or one, the wise should forget about the word and always focus on Lord Hari.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

Achyut Karve

Jul 17, 2021, 11:59:41 AM7/17/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
If as proposed by Madhavji the word is written and pronounced as  सुध्युपास्य: there will be a विराम between सु and ध्युपास्य: and hence will result in the loss of the समास. It should be written and pronounced as सुद्धुपास्य:

Achyut Karve

Madhav Deshpande

Jul 17, 2021, 12:06:14 PM7/17/21
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Karve Ji,

     I have been studying and teaching Pāṇini all my life, and I am not aware of any rule that would require us to place a virāma as you suggest. You probably know something that I don't. Would like to hear your reasoning. Thanks.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies
Adjunct Professor, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, India

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]

Achyut Karve

Jul 18, 2021, 11:48:01 AM7/18/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Madhavi,

One need not place a virama, it occurs in faulty speech.  A virama is experienced as a guttural stop in between letters of a word.  It occurs in all syllabic languages.  For eg. in the word 'compound' there occurs a guttural stop in between 'com' and 'pound'.

As suggested in my book a rule needs to be made for Sanskrit that while voicing successive letters of a word the tongue invariably needs to  pulled back each time so as to avoid a virama.

1) In the word in question I suppose that श is replaced by स.
2) As in the Marathi word शुद्ध the द and ध are by no means dental.  The द is alveolar and the ध is palatal.
3) Now one needs to answer why श is replaced by स.  The answer possibly is on account of ध losing it's vowel and य coming in its place.
4) Once this is done one need not remove the द् resulting in sanyoga of three consonants द् ध् and य.
5) Since the time taken to sound consonants is negligible the matra remain the same.

I would like to hear from you what Paninian rules have been applied that the द is dropped.

Without prejudice.

With regards,
Achyut Karve.

Nityanand Misra

Jul 18, 2021, 1:29:17 PM7/18/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
On Sunday, 18 July, 2021 at 9:18:01 pm UTC+5:30 Achyut Karve wrote:
[...]

 Dear Sh. Achyut Karve Ji

Apologies, but I am thoroughly confused on reading all this. I do not understand most of what you wrote. How does द become alveolar? How  does ध become palatal? What does श in Sanskrit changing to स in Marathi (happens in Hindi also) have to do with य coming in place of the vowel following ध?

Can you please share publication details of your book where this is discussed in depth. Are these your original ideas/theories or have they been expressed by other Marathi linguists/grammarians also? If so, can you please share their publication details also?

Thanks, Nityananda

Madhav Deshpande

उज्ज्वल राजपूत

Jul 18, 2021, 11:27:27 PM7/18/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
शुद्ध उपास्यः
शुद्ध्य् उपास्यः (ता॒ल॒व्या३॒॑द्धाद॒तो यः)
सुद्ध्य् उपास्यः (शस्य॒ सः)
सुद्ध्युपास्यः / सुध्युपास्यः Eureka! (अवि॑दम्)

अच्युताजी, हा शब्द "सुधी" आणि "उपास्य" या दोन शब्दांनी बनलेला आहे।

Achyut Karve

Jul 19, 2021, 4:51:39 AM7/19/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Ujjwalji,

मग तो 'सूध्युपास्यः' असा व्हायला पाहिजे.

आपला,
अच्युत कर्वे.

Dr. Yadu Moharir

Jul 19, 2021, 11:44:56 AM7/19/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear Scholars,

One can easily understand the core principle what Sri Achyut Karve-Ji is saying if one understands difference between terms "taala", "maatraa" and "laya  (tempo)" in Indian classical music.

Ek taala has 12 maatra's. but the division of thees 12 maatraa's is not evenly divided like "teen taala" that has 16 maatra's.

Pt Ravi Shankar when teaching his students the concept of "tihaaii" (a phrase repeated 3 times), he used to ask students to repeat "मेथि पालक चूका"  3 Times but the "SUM" must arrive (land on का and not चू ".  This teaches student how to sub-divide for remaining faithful the the bandish.

My 2 cents

Rgds

Dr Yadu

On Sunday, July 18, 2021, 11:47:09 AM MST, Achyut Karve <achyut...@gmail.com> wrote:

Boxbe This message is eligible for Automatic Cleanup! (achyut...@gmail.com) Add cleanup rule | More info
[...]

Balasubramanian Ramakrishnan

Jul 19, 2021, 10:35:10 PM7/19/21
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
What’s the connection between maatraa and whether something is pronounced alveolar or dental? And how does dha become palatal because of maatraa? Enough to make anyone’s hard spin.

People in this thread do know that Prof. Deshapande is a professional linguist, right?

Ramakrishnan

Achyut Karve

Jul 20, 2021, 5:07:27 AM7/20/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
यावरून एक छोटी कथा ऐकवतो.

माझे गुरुजी श्री नारायण जोशी यांनी अहमद जान थिरकवा यांची 15 वर्षे शागीर्दी केली. परंतु तबला हा विषय काय हाती लागला नाही.  त्यांचे वडील गजाननराव जोशी थोर गवई होते.

नारायण जोशी यांना मी प्रश्न केला की गजाननराव जोशी विद्यार्थ्याला प्रथम काय शिकवीत? स रे ग म असे त्यानी उत्तर दिले.  तुला अ  आ इ ई कोणी शिकवली आईनी, शाळा मास्तराने की तुझ्या गुरुजींने?  उत्तर अर्थातच होते शाळा मास्तराने.  मग ती बाराखडी तबल्याचे बोल जी एक कला आहे ती म्हणण्यासाठी काय उपयोगाची.  बाराखडी नीट म्हणता येत नसेल तर तबल्याचे बोल तरी कसेकाय नीट म्हणता येतील आणि तबला तरी कसाकाय नीट वाजवता येईल?

संस्कृतची बाराखडी आपण शाळेत शिकतो ती आहे की महेश्वर सूत्र.  (संस्कृतसुद्धा एक कला भाषा आहे म्हणूनच शिष्ठांची भाषा म्हणवली जाते) मराठी लिहिता वाचता आलं म्हणजे संस्कृतसुद्धा लिहिता वाचता आणि बोलता येते हाच तर मोठा भ्रम आहे.

तबल्याचे बोल नीट म्हणता येण्यासाठी मला सुद्धा महेश्वर सूत्रच कामी आले.  शाळेत शिकलेली बाराखडी न्हवे.  करण हे आहे की महेश्वर सूत्र नीट म्हटल्याने लघु गुरू उदात्त अनुदात्त वगैरे मध्ये असलेला प्रयत्न भेद उमगायला लागतो.

Manage करता आलं म्हणजे आलं अस नाही.  पतंजली म्हणतात निःसंशय होण्यासाठी व्याकरणाचा अभ्यास करावा.  व्याकरण शिकून आणि अभ्यासून व्यक्ती संशय रहित होत नसेल तर त्याचे कारण काय असावे बरे?
Revolutions took place over cups of tea in tea houses.

माझं सांगणं एवढंच आहे की संस्कृत ही इतर भाषांप्रमाणे आहे असे न समजता महेश्वर सूत्र आधारित प्रयोग अपेक्षित आहे.  दुर्दैव हे आहे की प्रत्यहाराच्या पलीकडे जाऊन महेश्वर सूत्रांचा विचार कोठे झालेला दिसत नाही आणि मग इंग्लिश संस्कृत, मराठी संस्कृत, कन्नड संस्कृत इत्यादी असे अपभ्रंश बोलण्यात आणि स्वाभाविक लेखनात दिसून यायला लागतील.

माझे म्हणणे समजत नाही असे वाटणे स्वाभाविक आहे कारण महेश्वर सूत्रे शिक्षेचा भाग समजला जात नाही आणि थेट अ,आ,इ,ई, ... क,ख,ग, ..... क,का,कि,की .... शिकवली जातात.  मी केलेले लेखन हे महेश्वर सुत्रांना प्रमाण समजून केले आहे.  यात ही सूत्रबद्ध बाराखडी बनवली आहे जेणे करून अ, आ, इ .... शिकवण्याची गरज भासणार नाही.

तुमचा स्नेही,
अच्युत कर्वे

Achyut Karve

Jul 21, 2021, 11:14:54 AM7/21/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear friends,

The sutra तपरस् तत् कालस्य has a wider meaning than that pointed out by Patanjali.

Had the Mahesh war Sutras been recited with swaras all the sutras from the 5th to the 14th would have त as their pratyahara letter.  That it is not indicates that the above letters are not recited with vowels instead all the sutras have consonants as their pratyahara letter.

What I have done is using तकारा as pratyahara to generate the barakhadi.  From the barakhadi sutras one will notice that not only तकारा but all the letters of the त class have the same force depending on which of the consonant of a class is being phonated.

Attached are the requisite PDFs.

This shows that the tradition itself has come under the influence of the west for centuries viz. that a consonant cannot be voiced without being suffixed or prefixed by a vowel. This needs to be set right.

With regards,
Achyut Karve.

Barakhadi complete.pdf

Achyut Karve

Jul 22, 2021, 11:59:57 PM7/22/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Dear friends,

The Sutra barakhadi will overcome the criticism of Panini that he did not read all the हल् letters by suffixing all the vowels including short and long and udatta and annudatta and swarita.

What about instruction about udatta, anudatta and swarita?

The answer is that the Bara khadi  Sutras are read swarita.  Once the prayatna of swarita is fixed one can easily read udatta and annudatta by virtue of sutras
उचैः उदातः and निचैः अनुदातः.

Thus all the variations of the हल् letters stand instructed.

My question is, can a shastra stand on a faulty prayoga?

With regards,
Achyut Karve.