Svapnavasavadattam

उज्ज्वल राजपूत

Mar 25, 2017, 7:41:08 AM3/25/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
स्वप्नवासवदत्तस्येकस्य सुरुचिरस्य प्रयोगस्य छायाङ्कनं यूट्यूबे दृष्टम्।
   Volume 1 https://youtu.be/ZvRNM6_NRy0
   Volume 2 https://youtu.be/q96aRnVJE8g

वॉल्यूमयोरेतयोफ़्प्रथम एवाङ्को दृश्यते षण्णामङ्कानाम्।
अन्येऽङ्काख़्कुतफ़्प्राप्या इत्यत्र साहाय्यमपेक्षितम्।

किञ्चिदभिरुचिवर्द्धकमुक्तमस्य प्रयोगविशेषस्य विषये। तद्यथा।
"Perhaps, this is the first classical Sanskrit play presented on-screen in full length from Poorvaranga to Bharatavakya, faithfully following the principles of play production mentioned by Bharata."

"Purvaranga Research and
Reconstruction
Music Research
A few Lyrics in Sanskrit and in Prakrit
and dialogues in Trigata
    Shatavadhani Dr. R. Ganesh"

सकलमपि नाटकं सुमनोहरम्। तत्र विशेषोण शतावधानिना गणेशमहाभागेन रचितानि पद्यानि बहुरमणीयानि। तस्मादन्यानङ्कान्द्रष्टुं मम कौतूहलम्।

Madhav Deshpande

Mar 26, 2017, 9:40:51 AM3/26/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rajputji for providing these YouTube videos of Svapnavāsavadatta performance.  It is truly exquisit.  Congratulations to performers and the director.  I hope other parts of the video become available.

Madhav Deshpande
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Madhav Deshpande

Mar 26, 2017, 5:46:34 PM3/26/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
To continue my previous comment on this performance of the Svapnavāsavadattam, it is remarkable that the performance uses Sanskrit as well as Prakrit, something that is rare in modern staging, or even study of the Sanskrit dramas.  I remember that the Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapith in Pune had staged portions of the Svapnavāsavadattam in Mumbai in early 1960s, and I, as a highschool student, had some minor role in it.  Professor Saroja Bhate (then Ms. Saroja Chitari) acted the role of Padmāvatī.  But to my memory, we did not use Prakrit originals, but used the Sanskrit chāyās in their place.  Later, sometime around 1967, we performed the fourth act of Śākuntalam, but again we did not use Prakrits in the performance. So, the use of Prakrits in performance is a wonderful return to the original composition of Bhāsa.  Were other acts of Svapnavāsavadattam performed by this group?  Would love to see them.

Madhav Deshpande
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

Sumithra Veeraraghavan

Mar 26, 2017, 11:09:10 PM3/26/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing the links. Beautiful to see Stages as per natyashastra and the karanas they have performed are so gracious.
--
Thanks & Regards
Sumithra Veeraraghavan

Ganesh R

Mar 27, 2017, 1:01:35 AM3/27/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for the good words and kind interest showered by Dr. Rajputji, Prof. Deshpandeji and Dr. Sumitraji. Major credits should go to Prof. P. V. Krishna Bhat, Dr. S. R. Leela and Guru Smt. Sundari Santaanam who worked thoroughly for this project. Of course, melodious music of vidvan. Balasubrahmanyasharmaa and naatyadharmi acting of all the artistes should be commended. This was the beginning of an ambitious project which the  IGNCA SRC Bangalore took up then. But the adverse times came in the way and the rest could not even be designed.

Aravinda Rao

Mar 27, 2017, 2:11:04 AM3/27/17
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Marvelous production. Congratulations to Prof Leela and Prof Ganesh.
Aravinda Rao

Ssmurty

Mar 29, 2017, 1:17:46 AM3/29/17
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Happy Ugadi to all Sanskrit lovers.  Sri Aravindarao garu joining this group and his active participation is a great inspiration to many Sanskrit lovers.
Regards
S.S.MURTY

Sent from my iPad
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bvparishat+...@googlegroups.com.

Sridatta A

Oct 20, 2018, 1:29:41 AM10/20/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Here seems to be the complete video.
https://archive.org/details/IGNCA.Svapnavasavadattam

Madhav Deshpande

Oct 20, 2018, 10:13:10 AM10/20/18
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Shri Sridatta,

     Thanks for sharing this video link to the performance of Svapnavāsavadattam.  I remember taking part in staging the first act of Svapnavāsavadatta in Pune during my high-school days.  I had a very minor role in it.  This is one of my most favorite Sanskrit dramas, and I have read it with every generation of my Sanskrit students at the University of Michigan.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus
Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan