{भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Panel Discussion on "Revisiting Hindi: A Perspective on Indic Languages"

Kushagra Aniket

Sep 12, 2021, 12:57:37 AM9/12/21
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
Dear Scholars,

On the occasion of Hindi Day (September 14), I shall participate in this panel discussion on "Revisiting Hindi" today at 7 PM IST. It will be streamed live on the Youtube Link below.

image.png

अयि शारदे तव भारते शठराजनीतिरता प्रजा
निजराज्यगौरवमण्डनाय करोति चान्यविडम्बनम्।
तमिलं पुरातनमस्तु नूतनमस्तु संस्कृततोऽथवा
परमं प्रयोजनमस्ति तेऽद्वयवल्लकीस्वरखण्डनम्॥

“हे शारदे, आपके भारत में दुष्ट राजनीति में संलग्न कुछ लोग अपने-अपने राज्य का मान-मण्डन करने के लिए अन्य लोगों का तिरस्कार करते हैं। तमिल संस्कृत से नया हो अथवा पुराना, (उनका) परम प्रयोजन तो यही है कि आपकी एक अद्वय वीणा का स्वर खण्डित हो जाए।”

Best,
Kushagra

Kushagra Aniket
Economist and Management Consultant
Columbia University'21
Cornell University'15
New York, NY, U.S.A.

L Srinivas

Sep 13, 2021, 12:43:24 PM9/13/21
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Very interesting discussion on Hindi and related matters. I felt there was a 360 degree treatment of English, Hindi and other languages of the Hindi belt. I felt it was very informative. Thanks to Shri Kushagra-ji and others for their rather enlightened perspectives.

One thing I felt could have been touched upon was whether Hindi was a language of ideas or intellectual utility in the modern world. Whether it is nor not, perhaps Hindi would still be attractive to those who speak the regional languages of the Hindi belt, as Shri Anurag Shukla-ji mentioned.  Like Shri Balram Shukla-ji pointed out it would be well nigh impossible to discuss dhvani in Urdu-ized Hindi. You choose the right register of the language whereby you discuss virtually in Sanskrit though your sentences are in Hindi. Perhaps it would not be very different from couple Hindi speakers discussing computer architecture.

Is the question then whether Hindi is at the 'basic needs' level in Maslow's hierarchy of a certain class of people ? (I've no difficulty admitting that non Hindi languages of India are in the same boat). For the other classes of people, there is a short route to their basic and higher needs. For them, English seems to be the ticket.

The role of English in the development and spread of Hindi remained the elephant in the room (but for a few remarks in passing by Shri Balram Shukla-ji).

Regards,

Srini