Question regarding Chandas

Kesava Tadipatri

Jan 31, 2022, 9:48:22 PM1/31/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Shri Gurubhyo namaH
sarvebhyo namaH.

What is the name of the chandas for the shloka with gaNas -  ra - sa- ja - ja - bha - ra ? it has 18 letters for each pAda (Dhruti). Is it CharcharI or MallikA. If it is one of these, then what is the lakShaNa of the other?

Dhanyavadas,

Kesava Tadipatri

G S S Murthy

Jan 31, 2022, 11:56:31 PM1/31/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
मल्लिकामाला (मत्तकोकिला)) as per http://sanskritmetres.appspot.com/

रक्षमां सततं जयन्त जयेश भार्गव राम हे।

Thanks and regards,

Murthy

G S S Murthy

Feb 1, 2022, 12:09:16 AM2/1/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

Mathukumalli Vidyasagar

Feb 1, 2022, 1:15:19 AM2/1/22
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
In Telugu poetry it is called Mattakokila.  The other new name is new to me.  Perhaps because we already have a champakamaala (a different meter), the name mallikaamaala did not become popular.

kesava.t...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2022, 3:54:41 AM2/1/22
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thanks a ton. Yes, most of the time in Telugu and Sanskrit the names are same. But sometimes they are different. Champakamaala in Telugu is paMchakAvali or sarasI or DhR^itashrI in Sanskrit.Similarly taralam in Telugu is saralam in Sanskrit. (na, bha, ra, sa, ja, ja ,ga - but this does not parse in the above appspot link).

Thanks and regards,
Kesava Tadipatri

Mohana Rao

May 27, 2023, 1:20:30 AM5/27/23
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
I have discussed in great detail the origin of this vRitta in a Telugu essay entitled "mattakOkila katha" at

J K  Mohana  Rao

Nagaraj Paturi

May 27, 2023, 2:11:31 AM5/27/23
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sri Mohana Rao garu, for sharing this wonderful article.

The original mail is from Sri Kesava Tadipatri.

I guess he knows Talugu. If yes, he should be able to read your article.

But for the other members of the list, it may be difficult to read the article.

But they definitely would appreciate such a specially focussed writing on that meter.

--
Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Senior Director, IndicA
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS Kavikulaguru Kalidasa Sanskrit University, Ramtek, Maharashtra
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
BoS Rashtram School of Public Leadership
Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Studies in Public Leadership
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
FLAME School of Communication and FLAME School of  Liberal Education,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.