On the text of Skanda Purāṇa

Girijesh Rao

Jul 22, 2018, 6:11:44 AM7/22/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

विद्वद्भ्यो नमः

Very first instance, I'd like to clarify that I have seen the threads related to Sāttvika, Rājasika and Tāmasika Vibhāga-s of Purāṇa-s here. My question is limited to availability of some Śloka-s quoted in Hazari Prashad Diwedi Granthawali-V-1-11, Volume 5, to be found in Skanda Purāṇa.
However, I could not find these in Skanda Mahāpurāṇa.

(1) The books mentions a Śloka from Kedāra Khaṇda without giving reference no. as :

अष्टादशपुराणेषु दशभिर्गीयते शिव: ।
चतुर्भिभगवान् ब्रह्मा द्वाभ्यां देवी तथा हरि: ॥

I could not find this. Instead, I could find this only:

अष्टादशपुराणेषु गीयते वै परःशिवः॥

तस्माच्छिवस्य माहात्म्यं वक्तुं कोऽपि पार्यते॥ .१३

Is the previous Śloka in Skanada? If yes, kindly provide ref. no.

2. The same articles mentions Śivarahasyakhaṇḍa and Sambhava Kāṇḍa in Skanda MP. and provides some Śloka-s (image attached). I could neither find Śivarahasyakhaṇḍa/ Sambhava Kāṇḍa, nor the Śloka-s.

Kindly provide publication details or ref. no. of the version of Skanda MP, containing Śivarahasyakhaṇḍa/ Sambhava Kāṇḍa and the Śloka-s.

धन्यवाद,

गिरिजेश

Vaishnav_Shaiva_Brahma_Puran_HajariPrasad.jpg

shankara

Jul 22, 2018, 12:21:45 PM7/22/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste,

Skandapurana is the largest Mahapurana. It is said that Skanda Purana has 81,000 slokas and is as large as Mahabharata (without Harivamsa). Purana scholars like Jvalaprasad Misra say that Skandapurana is not found anywhere as a single text. It is found in the form of samhitas, khandas, Mahatmyas, Sthalapuranas, stotras, etc which are ascribed to Skandapurana. But, we may not find many of them in the Skandapurana available today.

Please see page 291 of 'Ashtadasa Purana Darpana' by Jvalaprasad Misra for a discussion on the nature of Skandapurana text.

JP Misra says that Skanda Purana has two recensions - one consisting of 6 samhitas and the other consisting of 7 khandas.

Sivarahasya Khanda is said to be a part of Sankara Samhita. This is available online at the links given below.

There is an independent Upapurana (some say that it is an itihasa) named Sivarahasya (or Sivarahasya Purana). This Sivarahasya Purana has 12 Amsas and there are around 1,10,000 slokas. It is larger than Mahabharata. Ribhu Gita, well known Advaita Vedanta text is part of this Purana.

This was published from Tanjore Sarasvati Mahal Library in 12 volumes. Almost all are available online. Link is given below.

You may also refer to 'The Puranas' by Ludo Rocher (this is a part of A History of Indian Literature) for a general discussion on the Puranas and Skanda Purana. This book has a discussion on categorization of the Puranas based on three gunas as well as on the basis of five devatas (page 21).
regards
shankara

eg

Jul 22, 2018, 12:33:56 PM7/22/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

Thank you very much for the reply. It answers my second question. I'll certainly look into it and come back. Any update on the first query ?

Since you have answered, I am tempted to ask one more question regarding 9th century Nepālī manuscript of Skanda MP published by Groningen University, Netherlands which is very small compared to extant SMP. Do you have any update on that?

Best regards,

Girijesh

shankara

Jul 22, 2018, 12:48:23 PM7/22/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Namaste,

There is a discussion on Groningen University edition of Skanda Purana by Hans T Bakker in the first chapter of the following book.

regards
shankara