लघुपतनक

Harry Spier

May 19, 2024, 9:02:08 PMMay 19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear list members,
The first tale of the Hitopadesa has a character, a crow called  लघुपतनक

In Monier-Williams dictionary, the entry for लघु isn't only " light, easy, not heavy or difficult", it also lists as a meaning "a particular mode of flying peculiar to birds". Does that mean that the name लघुपतनक means "One who is a bird that flies a particular way" . Can someone elaborate on what  लघु  as a type of flying of birds means.  Does it just mean "a swift flier" or "flying short distances" or something else?
Thanks,
Harry Spier

krishnap...@gmail.com

May 19, 2024, 9:34:56 PMMay 19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Here लघु means not light.
लघु=द्रुतं पतनं यस्य सः। Even in North Karnataka लगु(गु instead of घु) = fast

Roland Steiner

May 20, 2024, 7:06:26 AMMay 20
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Harry,

See Böhtlingk and Roth: "Sanskrit-Wörterbuch", s.v. laghupatanaka: "m.
N. pr. einer Krähe (schnell fliegend) Pañcat. 104, 13. Hit. 9, 6."
https://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/csl-apidev/servepdf.php?dict=PWG&page=6-0482

As usual, an English translation of this entry can be found here:

Monier-Williams s.v. laghu—patanaka: "m. ‘quickly flying’, N. of a
crow, Pañcat.; Hit."
https://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/MWScan/2014/web/webtc/servepdf.php?page=894

See also Böhtlingk and Roth: "Sanskrit-Wörterbuch", s.v. laghupātin:
"adj. schnell fliegend; m. N. pr. einer Krähe Kathās. 61, 58."
https://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/csl-apidev/servepdf.php?dict=PWG&page=6-0483

English translation:
Monier-Williams, s.v. laghu—pātin: "m. ‘quickly flying’, N. of a crow,
Kathās."
https://www.sanskrit-lexicon.uni-koeln.de/scans/MWScan/2014/web/webtc/servepdf.php?page=894

Best regards,
Roland

----- Nachricht von Harry Spier <vasisht...@gmail.com> ---------
Datum: Sun, 19 May 2024 21:01:20 -0400
Von: Harry Spier <vasisht...@gmail.com>
Antwort an: bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Betreff: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} लघुपतनक
An: Bharatiya Vidvat parishad <bvpar...@googlegroups.com>
----- Ende der Nachricht von Harry Spier <vasisht...@gmail.com> -----

--

Prof. Dr. Roland Steiner
Fachgebiet Indologie und Tibetologie

Harry Spier

May 20, 2024, 8:09:30 PMMay 20
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you Roland,
I missed that MW entry. MW did not have patanaka so I didn't look up laghupatanaka.