पुरुषप्रयत्नः and प्रारब्धं

Venkata Sriram

Sep 23, 2019, 6:39:26 AM9/23/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste,

I need the reference of the shloka which seems to be referred in योगवासिष्ठः that says something
similar to this:

"when two rams namely पुरुषप्रयत्नः and प्रारब्धं fight each other with horns, it is the 1st ram in the form of पुरुषप्रयत्नः wins the fight and thus it is confirmed that
one can change one's destiny"

I would be highly obliged if scholars can point to the reference.

rgs,
sriram
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

A K Kaul

Sep 23, 2019, 7:53:50 AM9/23/19
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Shri Sriramji,
Jai Shri Ram!
It is the fifth shloka of the fifth Sarga of Mumukshyu-Vyavhar Prakrana of the Yogavasishtha, attached herewith.
In fact, almost the entire Mumukshyu-Vyavhar Prkrana---nay the entire --योगवासिष्ठ- has extolled efforts vis-a-vis prarabadha!
At one place, Vasishtha Muni has said
कालविद्भिर्विनिर्नीतं यस्यास्ति चिरजीवितम् | संछिन्न शिरश्चेज्जीवति तद्दैवमुत्तमम् ||
कालविद्भिर्विनिर्नीतं यस्य पाण्डित्यं अविखन्दितं| अनधीतविद्यश्चेद्विद्वान तद्दैवं उत्तमम्||
With regardsand Jai Shri Ram!
A K Kaul
YV-2-5-5.jpeg

Venkata Sriram

Sep 23, 2019, 7:58:29 AM9/23/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Excellent ! Thank you Kaul Ji

rg,
sriram

shankara

Sep 23, 2019, 8:08:47 AM9/23/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Sriramji,

द्वौ हुडाविव युध्येते पुरुषार्थौ परस्परम् ।
य एव बलवांस्तत्र स एव जयति क्षणात् ॥ 2.5.10

Like two rams our fate and exertions are fighting with one another, wherein the victory is always on the side of the stronger.

Link to complete chapter -

regards
shankara

Venkata Sriram

Roland Steiner

Sep 23, 2019, 8:31:44 AM9/23/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

> द्वौ हुडाविव युध्येते पुरुषार्थौ परस्परम् ।
> य एव बलवांस्तत्र स एव जयति क्षणात् ॥ 2.5.10॥

It is Yogavāsiṣṭha 2.6.10 (this stanza is lacking in the Mokṣopāya version).

Best,
RS

Roland Steiner

Sep 23, 2019, 8:32:40 AM9/23/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

> "*when two rams namely पुरुषप्रयत्नः and प्रारब्धं fight each other with
> horns, it is the 1st ram in the form of पुरुषप्रयत्नः wins the fight and
> thus it is confirmed that*
> *one can change one's destiny"*

Mokṣopāya 2.5.5:

dvau huḍāv iva yudhyete puruṣārthau samāsamau
ātmīyaś cānyadīyaś ca jayaty atibalas tayoḥ

Yogavāsiṣṭha 2.5.5:

dvau huḍāv iva yudhyete puruṣārthau samāsamau
prāktanaś caihikaś caiva śāmyaty atrālpavīryavān

Best,
RS

Roland Steiner

Sep 23, 2019, 2:39:47 PM9/23/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
> पुरुषार्थौ our fate and exertions

As usual, the "translation" by Vihari-Lala Mitra is wrong. Here,
puruṣārtha ("human effort or exertion") = pauruṣa. Compare, for
instance, Mokṣopāya/Yogavāsiṣṭha 2.4.17:

prāktanaṃ caihikaṃ ceti dvividhaṃ viddhi pauruṣam
prāktano 'dyatanenāśu puruṣārthena jīyate

(Ānandabodhendra's Vāsiṣṭhamahārāmāyaṇatātparyaprakāśa: puruṣārthena
pauruṣeṇa jīyate 'bhibhūyate).

Bestm
RS

Hnbhat B.R.

Sep 24, 2019, 2:24:08 AM9/24/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
नालम्बते दैष्टिकतां न निषीदति पौरुषे । शब्दार्थौ सत्कविरिव द्वयं विद्वानपेक्षते ॥ 1.22 ॥ माघकाव्ये।

प्राब्धमुत्तमजना न परित्यजन्ति!

V Subrahmanian

Sep 24, 2019, 3:06:48 AM9/24/19
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 11:54 AM Hnbhat B.R. <hnbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
नालम्बते दैष्टिकतां न निषीदति पौरुषे । शब्दार्थौ सत्कविरिव द्वयं विद्वानपेक्षते ॥ 1.22 ॥ माघकाव्ये।

Neither destiny nor personal effort singly determines the course of human life; there is great interaction between the two.  Destiny or actions of the past that have begun to fructify, human effort and divine grace together govern what happens now. Manu has compared destiny and personal effort to the two wheels of a chariot; a chariot cannot move on a single wheel.
regards
subrahmanian.v