What is the meaning of 'Kācalākṣāḥ' in Udayanācārya's Kiraṇāvalī?

Satyan Sharma

Feb 28, 2020, 11:58:02 PM2/28/20
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Namaste

While reading Udayanācārya's commentary Kiraṇāvalī on Buddhivaidharmya of Padārthadharmasaṅgraha, I came across a portion of 'viparyaya', where he discusses two explanations regarding why the sky appears blue. After quoting some view of Patañjali, which says that some Indranīlamaya Śikhara causes the sky to appear blue, Udayanācārya says; "tatra kācalākṣāḥ sākṣīkartumucitāḥ". I checked the Rasasāra commentary of Bhaṭṭavādīndra, but he does not appear comment on the said sentence. Same is with Vardhamāna Upādhyāya.

Hence I request the scholars to kindly guide me as to what is the meaning of 'Kācalākṣāḥ' here.

Regards

Satyan Sharma

Feb 29, 2020, 12:00:17 AM2/29/20
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
A correction. The said phrase comes before he quotes the view of Patañjali.

V Subrahmanian

Feb 29, 2020, 12:55:37 AM2/29/20
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 10:28 AM Satyan Sharma <satyan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Namaste

While reading Udayanācārya's commentary Kiraṇāvalī on Buddhivaidharmya of Padārthadharmasaṅgraha, I came across a portion of 'viparyaya', where he discusses two explanations regarding why the sky appears blue. After quoting some view of Patañjali, which says that some Indranīlamaya Śikhara causes the sky to appear blue, Udayanācārya says; "tatra kācalākṣāḥ sākṣīkartumucitāḥ". I checked the Rasasāra commentary of Bhaṭṭavādīndra, but he does not appear comment on the said sentence. Same is with Vardhamāna Upādhyāya.

There is an entry for काचाक्षः    and no  काचलाक्षः

kAcAkza m. ‘glass-eyed’, N. of an aquatic bird, Suśr. i, २०५, १४.

Vachaspatyam

काचाक्ष

पुंस्त्री काच इवाक्षि अस्य षच् समा० । वकभेदे स्त्रियां जातित्वेऽपि संयोगोपधत्वात् न ङीष् किन्तु षित्त्वात् ङीष् इति भेदः । अयञ्च प्लवः सबचारी च सुश्रुतेनोक्तः यथा हंससारसेत्याद्युपक्रमे काचाक्ष- मल्लिकाक्षेत्यादीनुक्त्वा “प्लवाः संघचारिणश्च” ।

It is possible that this bird has something to do with this phenomenon.  It could be refraction and use of glass prism.  In Vedanta नभोनैल्यम् is admitted to be an adhyasa.

regards
subrahmanian.v

Hence I request the scholars to kindly guide me as to what is the meaning of 'Kācalākṣāḥ' here.

Regards

rniyengar

V Subrahmanian

Feb 29, 2020, 1:46:02 AM2/29/20
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 12:11 PM rniyengar <narayana...@gmail.com> wrote:
Could it be a reference to glass piece looking red when kept near lākṣā (ಅರಗು)

Yes, Sir, very close possibility.  kAcha and lAkShaa -  it is a sopAdhika bhrama.

One has to see why the commentator has mentioned the word in plural: kācalākṣāḥ sākṣīkartumucitāḥ.

regards
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bvparishat+...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bvparishat/ad3d1c82-938e-4f0d-9cd0-b3a5df798c04%40googlegroups.com.

Satyan Sharma

Feb 29, 2020, 1:57:49 AM2/29/20
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
I am attaching the portion before and after the said phrase for the context.

--
Satyan Sharma
Research Scholar

Note:
This email (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way unless specified. Further communication will signify your consent to this.