IIT Madras team develops easy OCR system for nine Indian languages

Nagaraj Paturi

Apr 28, 2019, 3:45:11 AM4/28/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्

Dr. Sayant Mahato

Apr 29, 2019, 3:12:16 AM4/29/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com

Namaste,

It’s the most stupid thing I have seen lately. Please understand what they are telling? They developed a script called Bharati. Now, they developed an OCR that takes input of Bharati script and gives output. That can be converted to Unicode.

In the first place, we have our 1000s of years evolved script, that they want us to change to Bharati script. And their OCR works for bharati script only. It’s like saying, if I give them an old devanagari book, they will turn it into Bharati script book by typing, then print book, scan it and OCR it. So, first step, they convert each of our text to Bharati script. Why? Because, they think one India one Script. Then, they want all books and texts in this Bharati script that was news for years now. Latest, they come up with some news in The Hindu that they developed some method to do OCR on the new script they.

Tell me, what’s the use? Wastage of public money by IITs. This also insults the diversity Indian languages have and does not consider that languages are written as well, not just computer typed.

dhanyo'smi

Dr. Sāyant Māhāto

Senior Research Assistant

Digitized Samskrit Corpus,

Aksharam, Girinagar, Bangalore, KA, In-560085.

On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 1:15 PM Nagaraj Paturi <nagara...@gmail.com> wrote:

Bharati_script.jpeg

venkat veeraraghavan

Apr 29, 2019, 6:31:34 AM4/29/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Humour makes life worth living.

Who is the lead person in this "effort" ?

Now all we have to do is retype all the tons of material in Devanagari and convert into Bharati and hey presto the OCR works on this.

I am confused here. Where does Optical Character Recognition come in when the I/P is a script namely Bharati in this case ? Or do they really plan on touching their nose from behind their head by scanning Bharati and feeding it to the "OCR"?

Sivasenani Nori

Apr 29, 2019, 6:44:58 AM4/29/19
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
If one script is required across India, it could easily be Devanagari with some modifications, if required. It seems the idea was to have a nice three layered 'scientific' script. Now, one does not know how useful such a script would be. While we have seen newer scripts being adopted - Modi to Devanagari for Marathi, Urdu to Gurumukhi for Punjabi - by and large, changing a script is a process which is hugely expensive and requires a State fiat. Most reasonable people would not try such a thing, but then as George Bernard Shaw said, an unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself (and so all progress depends on the unreasonable man).

Also, on the brighter side older people can stay mentally healthy if they learn a new language, er, a new script.

Regards
N. Siva Senani

venkat veeraraghavan

Apr 29, 2019, 7:05:00 AM4/29/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shri Sivasenani Nori ji:-

While a common script for all of India might work for some things, it might not work at all for others.

Political, Economic, Social, Tech, Legal and Economic factors need to be considered before any idea can be judged as feasible or otherwise. State fiats will not work on socio-cultural issues (especially in a confused democracy such as India's) which is what the adoption of a new script essentially is.
GB Shaw's quote would apply to paradigm shifting ideas where the producers and the consumers of an innovation are two distinctly different sets of people AND the adoption curve is less steeper than before for the end consumer.
Consider digital watches, ipods and similar stuff.

 If tomorrow people could learn a language as easy as NEO plugging himself into a kung-fu cd, this adoption might be easy.

Not otherwise.

Regards,

Venkat

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्" group.

Shashi Joshi

Apr 29, 2019, 8:45:48 AM4/29/19
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Here is their youtube video

Really shocked to see the new script letters etc.

Thanks,
Shashi