समा, samā

Girijesh Rao

Jul 26, 2018, 3:30:15 AM7/26/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
नमो विद्वद्भय :

I came across the meaning of the word [समा, samā] being weather also in line with Arabic/Persian مَوْسِم‎ (mawsim), borrowed in Hindī as मौसम mausam. The source mentions Aitareya Br. , Kauṣ Br., Nirukta as source. I am uploading the screenshot.
However, I could find the usage of this word with meaning as वर्ष varṣa but could not the portions having meaning of this word as 'weather' or 'season'.

Kindly help.

Best regards,
Girijesh
sama.jpg

ramchander deekonda

Jul 26, 2018, 8:16:32 PM7/26/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
समा is also an Arabic word which means Sky. There is a Hindi version of this word as समॉ which means Time and season. (cf: समा है सुहाना सुहाना and समा बांधना) Again, there is another Arabic word as समॉ meaning listening (exp: samAt farmaana)

Hope this would help you.

Regards
Ramchander Deekonda