~ प्रहेलिका (Prahelikā) Composition (05-March-2018) ~

Hari Parshad Das

Mar 5, 2018, 1:00:07 AM3/5/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
dear vidvaj-janas,

my pranams.

Sharing a prahelikā style verse composed by myself today:

का मायास्ति तु या वृत्तिः के शवं तर्पयन्ति ये

कं संननाश वै कृष्णः को दण्डः प्रबलो हरेः

[Question:] का मायास्ति तु या वृत्तिः? — जीव की कौनसी वृत्ति माया कहलाती है ? (Which tendency of the soul is known as māyā?)

[Answer]: कामाय अस्ति तु या वृत्तिः — जो वृत्ति कामपूर्ति के लिए होती है। (That tendency which is for selfish gratification).

[Question:] के शवं तर्पयन्ति ये — कौन हैं जो सच में मृत व्यक्ति का तर्पण करते हैं। (Who are the individuals that truly satisfy a dead person?)

[Answer] केशवं तर्पयन्ति ये — जो भगवान केशव को सन्तुष्ट करते हैं। (Those who satisfy Lord Keśava).

[Question:] कं संननाश वै कृष्णः — कृष्ण ने किसका नाश किया? (Whom did Krishna destroy?)

[Answer:] कंसं ननाश वै कृष्णः — कृष्ण ने कंस का नाश किया (Krishna destroyed Kaṁsa).

[Question:] को दण्डः प्रबलो हरेः — हरि का कौनसा दण्ड प्रबल है? (Which chastising weapon of Hari is severe?)

[Answer:] कोदण्डः प्रबलो हरेः — हरि का धनुष बहुत प्रबल है। (The bow of Hari is very severe).

sādhu-caraṇa-rajo'bhilāṣī,

hari parshad das.

Sivasenani Nori

Mar 5, 2018, 4:01:31 AM3/5/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Sri Hari Parshad Das

Very nice attempt! And very enjoyable. You should try more of this.

If some honest feedback be tolerated, the second half is very good. The first half kind of sounds forced, even accounting for the fact that when one employs Slesha, there will be some turgidity in the flow.

Regards
N Siva Senani

Siddharth Wakankar

Mar 5, 2018, 4:55:22 AM3/5/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
A very nice verse.

I have one query.

Is kamsam nanaasha vai krishnah grammatically correct.

Thanks for explanation.

Prof. Siddharth Y Wakankar.

Sivasenani Nori

Mar 5, 2018, 12:55:45 PM3/5/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Thank you Prof. Wakankar for pointing out the mistake. नश् being an intransitive root (akarmakadhaatu), it does not have an object and Kamsa cannot be put in the accusative.

I should have spotted it, but I did not.

Regards
N Siva Senani

Hari Parshad Das

Mar 5, 2018, 1:18:12 PM3/5/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. I think saMjaghAna should work here.

Madhav Deshpande

Mar 5, 2018, 1:50:32 PM3/5/18
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
The line कं संननाश वै कृष्णः को दण्डः प्रबलो हरेः can be easily corrected to कं संजघान वै कृष्णः को दण्डः प्रबलो हरेः।

Madhav Deshpande

Siddharth Wakankar

Mar 5, 2018, 7:18:28 PM3/5/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shri Nori,

Thanks for the magnanimity of accepting the wrongness of the form.
I can understand your problem in using the older and more popular reading in your own spontaneous composition.
Do continue to write such couplets to enlighten us.
Some fifty years back,we had a great Sanskrit Scholar in Mumbai, Shri Shri.Sham.Navare,who used to compose such simple Sanskrit verses and publish in the Marathi Newspapers.
Best luck.

Prof. Siddharth Y Wakankar.

Madhav Deshpande

Mar 5, 2018, 7:25:56 PM3/5/18
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dear Hari Parshad Dasji,

     Your verse, with minor amendments, reminds me of a verse I had in one of my early Sanskrit readers:

कं संजघान कृष्ण: का शीतलवाहिनी गङ्गा ।
के दारपोषणरता: कं बलवन्तं न बाधते शीतम् ।।

Madhav Deshpande
Campbell, California

Ashok Aklujkar

Mar 5, 2018, 8:41:55 PM3/5/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, Ashok Aklujkar

> On Mar 5, 2018, at 4:18 PM, Siddharth Wakankar <sywak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some fifty years back,we had a great Sanskrit Scholar in Mumbai, Shri Shri.Sham.Navare,who used to compose such simple Sanskrit verses and publish in the Marathi Newspapers.
> Best luck.

If no one has collected these verses, they should be preserved in a collection.

a.a.

Dr. Rama kant Shukla

Mar 5, 2018, 9:57:45 PM3/5/18
to BHARATIYA VIDVAT
kam sanjghaana
iti paathaantaram.
regards.

Dr. Rama Kant Shukla
Padmashree Awardee
Recipient  of Certificate of Honor from  President of India
Editor-in-Chief Arvacheena Sanskritam (Quarterly Journal of DevaVani Parishad, Delhi)
R-6, Vani Vihar
New Delhi 110059.
Mob: +91 95605 32392
Ph: 011 28561846

Sivasenani Nori

Mar 5, 2018, 10:05:06 PM3/5/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Sir

Sri Hari Parishad Das is the one who composed it.

Regards
N Siva Senani

Ashok Aklujkar

Mar 5, 2018, 11:41:07 PM3/5/18
to bvpar...@googlegroups.com, Ashok Aklujkar
Dear Shri Hari Parshad Das,

As suggested by others you should continue to compose verses like the one you have shared with us.

In addition to the verse that Prof. Deshpande has shared with us, there is the following verse (Śārṅgadhara-paddhati 527), of which your quarter ‘b’ is reminiscent: केशवं पतितं दृष्ट्वा द्रोणो हर्षम् उपागत: / रुदन्ति कौरवा: सर्वे हा केशव कथं गत: ।। (some annotation available in Subhāṣita-ratna-bhāṇḍāgāra p. 186)

“vai” is not necessary in the third quarter. How about changing that quarter to कं संजघान धर्मात्मा?

Best wishes.

a.a.

Hari Parshad Das

Mar 6, 2018, 12:13:33 AM3/6/18
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्, Ashok Aklujkar
My thanks to Sri N Siva Senai, Prof. Deshpande, Prof. Wakankar, Prof. Ashok Aklujkar and Dr. Rama kant Shukla for their kind inputs and suggestions for improvement.

Prof. Deshpande: my inspiration to write this verse came from the following verse of Sarasvatī-kaṇṭhābharaṇam:

This verse is part prakrit and hence my desire to write something in Sanskrit.

Prof. Aklujkar: I agree 'vai' is simply for pādapūraṇa. It could be replaced with a term like 'dharmātmā' or 'gopeśaḥ'.

Thank you everyone for your kind words of encouragement. They enthuse me to write more and share more.

sādhu-caraṇa-rajo'bhilāṣī,

hari parshad das.

Automatically Inserted Signature: Dear receiver. In case I am not able to reply to your emails due to lack of time, kindly do not take it negatively. In the age of the internet and social media, it is almost impossible to respond to hundreds of individuals who are simultaneously communicating with us using these platforms. Although my attempt is to try and respond to every possible email, it is simply not possible sometimes due to work overload and time related constraints. Kindly understand my predicament and excuse me if I am sometimes unable to reply to your emails.