Ashtadhyayi as Software

Sai Susarla

Jun 24, 2024, 5:58:21 AM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Namassarvebhyah,
I have two related announcements.
1. Ashtadhyayi now available as executable Software
I'd like to announce the availability of

PAIAS, a Python-based machine interpreter of the entire Ashtadhyayi text corpus (sutras and paathas)

And a live web application using it for Krdanta ruupa siddhi to prove that it works.
This is the output of Sarada Susarla's PhD work under the guidance of Prof. Shivani at Karnataka Sanskrit University and Prof. Tilak Rao (Chanakya University).

PAIAS is available as both an open-source python library and Flask Web service. You can do things like
- Ashtadhyayi().interpret([gamlr, Satr]) -> gacChat
- Ashtadhyayi().compute_samjna("upadhA", "paTh") -> "a"

This lets a learner play with ashtadhyayi engine and explore what-if scenarios, find what sutras apply in a given context etc. This dramatically simplifies and shortens the time and effort to understand Ashtadhyayi, especially by non-traditional learners without memorization.
This project started as a casual hallway conversation at MIT School of Vedic Sciences Pune in 2018. Prof.Tilak Rao's tremendous grasp of Ashtadhyayi prakriya and insights helped shape this solution.

2. Based on the above experience, we are launching a new 3-credit online course called Ashtadhyayi as Software for science and engineering people, starting July 24th. Students will get first hand experience in using and enhancing the software to unleash the full power of Ashtadhyayi, and hopefully apply its techniques for other Indian languages as well.

Here is a doc describing the course:
It has links to research papers describing our work.

The course is now open for enrollment at

Ashtadhyayi interpretation has been a well-trodden path for decades. Many scholars on this list have done seminal work in this area. Ours is a humble attempt to build on their insights to make this monumental treatise more intelligible to the young generation.

Regards,
- Sai Susarla
Siddhanta Knowledge Foundation.

Amba Kulkarni

Jun 24, 2024, 7:12:18 AM (9 days ago) Jun 24
to SaiSusarlaOfUS AtBng, bvpar...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sai Susarla,

Congratulations to you and the Team!

It is a gigantic work, and I am glad that you could complete it.

Does the web version provides complete functionality?
I wanted to test  भजँ सेवायाम् +घञ्, but I could not find this verb entry on the web version.
Am I missing something?

Best,
Amba

आ नो भद्रा: क्रतवो यन्तु विश्वत: ll
Let noble thoughts come to us from every side.
- Rig Veda, I-89-i.

Professor & Head
Department of Sanskrit Studies
University of Hyderabad
Prof. C.R. Rao Road
Hyderabad-500 046

(91) 040 23133802(off)

Sai Susarla

Jun 24, 2024, 11:49:39 AM (8 days ago) Jun 24
to Amba Kulkarni, Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Dhanyavaadah mahodaye. It was indeed a daunting task. Being a pioneer in this field, your kind words mean a lot to us.

For the web application, we picked a representative dhaatu from each category (adanta, iganta etc.) as we didn't have expert-validated forms for all dhaatu+krt combinations. For adanta, we picked jvala~ as representative. That's why bhaja~ was missing in the dhaatu dropdown.

We shall add the full dhaatu list to the app soon for general testing. Thanks for pointing that out.
- Sai.

Amba Kulkarni

Jun 26, 2024, 2:32:49 AM (7 days ago) Jun 26
to Sai Susarla, Bharatiya Vidvat parishad
Thank you Sai Susarla ji for clarification.

Best,
Amba

Ramesh Kn

Jun 27, 2024, 3:45:52 AM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्
Sai Susarla Garu,

Excellent..

Just randomly tested few forms..