Hi Everyone!

Melanie

Nov 3, 2008, 9:31:11 PM11/3/08
to Button Quail Planet
This is just a quick note to say "Hi!". :) My name is Melanie and I've
always raised parrots. so I'm a complete rookie when it comes to
button quail. My family and I are raising our first (and from the
enjoyment of it, I'm sure not the last) brood that we hatched from a
homemade styrofoam incubator. We now have 12 hysterical feather balls
in two brooding tanks that are just entering week 3.

I'm looking forward to reading more about these little guys in this
group. :D
~Melanie

Muslin Bunnies

Nov 4, 2008, 9:27:41 AM11/4/08
to Button Quail Planet
Hello Melanie!

Welcome to Button Quail Planet. These birds are so much fun
especially when they are babies. I love watching their interactions
with each other and listening to the little noises that they make.

At three weeks old, you should be able to start telling the boys from
girls. There are a few colors that are hard to tell, and the whites
are nearly impossible until they start laying eggs or displaying
mating behavior. When you pick up the little ones, turn them over and
look for reddish or pinkish feathers around their vents. If they have
any red or pink on them, they are male. Females do not get red or
pink feathers.

My mom made one of the incubators that you made. I think they are
excellent and are much cheaper than buying an incubator.

Let us know how the little ones do! We love to hear stories!

Tina

Beverly Adams

Nov 4, 2008, 9:55:28 AM11/4/08
to button-qu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Melanie , Im so glad that you joined us . Also that you had luck hatching the eggs. They sure are sweet little birds . Again welcome to the group. Bev

tribrats

Nov 5, 2008, 11:20:56 AM11/5/08
to Button Quail Planet
They have a way of worming right into your heart! I had never heard
of them until Mom (Bev) and Tina introduced me to them. Now I have 8
here and 2 more that will come home from Mom's in a couple weeks when
they are old enough. Their Mom died so she hatched them for me.