Semantic Business Process Modeling approach

Kris

Apr 10, 2010, 4:40:31 AM4/10/10
to Business Of Linked Data (BOLD)
Hi all,

I am writing my masters about the Semantic Enterprise.

Basically, my research is about applying ontologies during the
analysis phase. My assumption is that there is already a data
dictionary available, and that the business processes have been
modeled using the BPMN notation. One of the weaknesses is the
ambiguity and confusion in sharing BPMN models. By extending BPMN
through SemWeb technologies, I believe that these ontologies help all
involved stakeholders (C-level, managers, business analyts, IT) to
better understand business requirements.

The reason I am posting this, is because practitioners can be found
here. Therefore, I think it is a good idea to start this discussing on
this topic as to get better insights and pondering questions such as:

1) How does Linked Enterprise Data fit in here?
3) How does it compare and fit with other enterprise modeling
methodologies (DEMO, ARIS, TOGAF etc.)
4) Which ontologies are there available today that can be reused?

Kind regards,
Kris

Daniel Koller

Apr 18, 2010, 10:29:42 AM4/18/10
to Business Of Linked Data (BOLD)
...short feedback from my side:

1) I think at the moment there is a conceptual gap between data
representation as e.g. Lniked Data and their inclusion in processes ..
a gap b.t.w. which is also not solved when looking at enterprise data
silos.

My experience is that on the same platform a vendor supports data
transport between different products (e.g. SAP), but interoperability
is still an open issue (and can not be assumed to work "out of the
box".

Linked Data in this context is just another kind of data stroage/
representation, but does not solve the process integration issues.

2) From my point of view, Linked Data is a conceptual part inside the
"Data architecture" phase of e.g. TOGAF , technical implementation is
to be defined in the "technical architecture" phase. It depands on the
requirements in the concrete business case, but Linked data has much
to offer as to enable easier data storage/representation/
transformation. (so when e.g. master data quality is an issue, Linked
Data may offer much easier to accomplish integration scenarios)

ARIS is a modelling langauge for business processes, but misses the
ability to be mapped directly to a technical setup ...so in some
projects you end up drawing nice ARIS charts, but the charts do not
speed up technical deployment of integration scenarios. (I am not
aware of any kind of "binding" between ARIS and Linked Data standards.

3) Regarding usable vocabularies I recommend schemapedia.com as a
growing reference of available vocabularies: very likely the
goodrelations vocabulary (at http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/
)will have a role when it comes to describes business/product/material
descriptions.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Martin Hepp (UniBW)

May 12, 2010, 12:25:35 PM5/12/10
to business-of-li...@googlegroups.com, Kris
Hi Kris,

You may find this paper

http://www.heppnetz.de/files/hepp-roman-an-ontology-framework-for-SBPM-WI2007.pdf

relevant.

Also, there has been a lot of work in the context of the EU-funded SUPER
project,

http://www.ip-super.org/

Best

Martin
martin hepp
e-business& web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail: he...@ebusiness-unibw.org
phone: +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax: +49-(0)89-6004-4620
www: http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype: mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Webcasts:
Overview - http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/
How-to - http://vimeo.com/7583816

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_ISWC2009

Kingsley Idehen

Jun 18, 2010, 10:14:14 AM6/18/10
to business-of-li...@googlegroups.com
All,

There will be a Linked Data Meetup @ Semtech 2010.

Agenda is currently an open work in progress.

Would certainly like to have conversations about business models esp.
Data as a Service (DaaS).

Linked Data and Enterprise 2.0 is also very interesting.

Links:

1. http://www.meetup.com/linkeddata/calendar/13832696/

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen

Seth Russell

Jun 18, 2010, 10:22:41 AM6/18/10
to business-of-li...@googlegroups.com
I've love to attend ... but can i attend via web cam from Seattle?

Seth Russell
Alpha testing: tagtalking.net
Facebook ing: facebook.com/russell.seth
Twitter ing: twitter.com/SethRussell
Blogging: fastblogit.com/seth/
Catalog selling: www.speaktomecatalog.com
Google profile: google.com/profiles/russell.seth