a company around design issues

Melvin Carvalho

Jan 10, 2015, 4:14:32 PM1/10/15
to business-of-li...@googlegroups.com
I thought of a very simple business idea.  Start a company whose mission is to implement as much as possible of the material in :

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/

Much of this stuff is where the web will be in 5, 10 even 50 years.  So it's possible to analyse what's done and what items need to be done then knock them off one by one ...

Kingsley Idehen

Jan 11, 2015, 12:40:53 PM1/11/15
to business-of-li...@googlegroups.com
Melvin,

How about simply making the Web apps that fully support  AWWW (Architecture of the World Wide Web) based Read-Write functionality the focal point? That way we end up with a powerful substrate that covers core business model infrastructure (currently missing from the Web) such as:

1. Tickets -- represented in RDF and/or ASN.1 using X.509 as the guiding ontology/vocabulary of terms for describing usage constraints on a service
2. Ticketing -- act of generating an instance of a Ticket
3. Ticket Terms Enforcement -- where Attribute Based Access Controls (ABAC) come into play
4. Payments -- leveraging webified Bitcoin amongst others.

Right now, we use 1-3 (with conventional online credit payment methods via payment processors like stripe.js) to handle how we license our LOD Cloud Connectivity ODBC/JDBC Drivers which expose the Linked Open Data Cloud as a SQL or SPARQL accessible RDBMS.

Steps:

1. You purchase a Ticket/License which has set duration  e.g., 30 days
2. You use the ODBC/JDBC connectivity from any compliant application, on any platform (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux etc..)
3. After 30 days you acquire a new Ticket or renew your existing Ticket (via a Certificate Signing Request protocol abstraction that we expose as a service).

Links:

1. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9G36GVL -- Description of a Ticket
2. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/8CDEHY -- Description of a Web Service Ticket
3. http://www.openlinksw.com/c/9DE76RHP -- LOD Connectivity License Description
4. http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/c/9BQX6POG -- User oriented page for LOD Connectivity License .

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com

Melvin Carvalho

Jan 11, 2015, 1:02:55 PM1/11/15
On 11 January 2015 at 18:40, Kingsley Idehen <kid...@openlinksw.com> wrote:
On 1/10/15 4:14 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
I thought of a very simple business idea.  Start a company whose mission is to implement as much as possible of the material in :

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/

Much of this stuff is where the web will be in 5, 10 even 50 years.  So it's possible to analyse what's done and what items need to be done then knock them off one by one ...
Melvin,

How about simply making the Web apps that fully support  AWWW (Architecture of the World Wide Web) based Read-Write functionality the focal point? That way we end up with a powerful substrate that covers core business model infrastructure (currently missing from the Web) such as:

Yes agree, I'll ad webizing is also important in the short to medium term.

However, design issues in its entirety perhaps contains 100 years of great development ideas.  It's nice to have such a manifesto, and also nice to know that in time (or even future generations) each essay will get developer time and implementations.

1. Tickets -- represented in RDF and/or ASN.1 using X.509 as the guiding ontology/vocabulary of terms for describing usage constraints on a service
2. Ticketing -- act of generating an instance of a Ticket
3. Ticket Terms Enforcement -- where Attribute Based Access Controls (ABAC) come into play
4. Payments -- leveraging webified Bitcoin amongst others.

Yes, love this workflow, and use something very similar already.  Agree, v good starting point and something to bring to maturatin in 2015, I think.

[...]

Kingsley Idehen

Jan 11, 2015, 6:30:31 PM1/11/15
On 1/11/15 1:02 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

[...]

I am sure they do, but they aren't unique development ideas. They simply reflect what's possible when you put AWWW to work. Remember, computing didn't start with the AWWW, these patterns have been in existence since the early days of the continuum we know today as modern silicon based computing :)

  It's nice to have such a manifesto, and also nice to know that in time (or even future generations) each essay will get developer time and implementations.

I prefer to see TimBL's notes as documented guidelines for what's possible re., AWWW (infrastructure for open standards based distributed computing).

Kingsley