Re: Hey all

Sharon Niles

Apr 9, 2009, 4:40:08 PM4/9/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone,

After an fun fill week in Disney albeit exhausting reading (guess what?)  Do we intend to meet over the break or do we submit our own analysis and then combine it into a single conclusive paper? Is it possible to wrap this up over the break?

Kindly advise.  Also I checked online and I don't see any deliverables from the professor. If someone can fill me it it would be appreciated.

Enjoy!

Vincent Varghese

Apr 9, 2009, 4:56:20 PM4/9/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Hey Sharon...

I personally wouldnt mind meeting up with everyone to discuss the case...I actually think its pretty important so that we can all get on the same page.  I think our presentation is on the 28?

chirag...@baruchmail.cuny.edu

Apr 10, 2009, 9:29:36 AM4/10/09
to 9200 group
Hey Sharon...  Lucky u... to enjoy in Disney... way away from craziness of NYC...

I wld agree... we shld meet once in coming week...

E'one can read the case well n come up with 'central issue' and alternatives...we are all different n dts the advantage...

...last case i.e. Birds Eye... Vince, Venkat & I had different central issues... don kno abt what  Zara n Sharon had...but I am sure our group is well diversified in terms of education n exposure... so will be a great time to work 2gether...

I work 9-5... so anytime after 6 pm.. is good for me in next week... e'one please write ur comfortable time....

Thanks,
Chirag

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 16:56:20 -0400
Subject: Re: Hey all
From: vjvar...@gmail.com
To: bus92...@googlegroups.com

Venkat Kalyan

Apr 10, 2009, 10:07:32 AM4/10/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Sure we can meet.  I have started going through the case and hope to finish up the reading 2-3 times by the end of the week.  we can actually start discussing over email also asap.

Zara Massey

Apr 10, 2009, 11:10:49 AM4/10/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
We should definitely meet up next week.
I have read the case but I think it requires a few more readings..Other than Tuesday, any day is fine with me.
Zara

sharon...@ubs.com

Apr 14, 2009, 2:16:56 PM4/14/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
What about Thursday after 6pm would that give everyone time....

Apr 14, 2009, 2:39:11 PM4/14/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
I am good with dt...

Zara Massey

Apr 14, 2009, 11:20:05 PM4/14/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Thursday after 6 is fine with me too.
Zara

Venkat Kalyan

Apr 15, 2009, 5:45:33 AM4/15/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Actually,can we makeitlike 7.00 on Thu. I dontthink I  will be ableto get outbefore 6.30 PM.

I was actually hoping that we could discuss this via email a bit before we meet.  I have read the paper a couple of times and here are my thoughts:

Primary Problem: I believe the primary issue is that Disney has too many diversified businesses that do not drive of its core competence.

Core Competence:
   I am not clear and how to present what Disney's core competence is. I can come up with two - Creativity and that makes Disney provide wholesome entertainment to the family.  2. Its core competence could simply be "providing wholesome entertainment to the family"

Solution:

    So, now we can say that there are many of Disney's businesses that do not leverage its core competence or have no relation to the core competence and incidentally many of those businesses do not generate enough revenue.  Things like Internet, broadcasting (except for Millionaire years), adult movies etc.

   So, I thought we could created a balance sheet without those units in the company and see howthat changes their bottom line.  What would be leftwould pretty much be the Disney's Animated Film's Division (some of the adult movies lost money), Theme Parks, consumer products and things like Disney Channel and certain programs.

    So, if Disney keeps just these units, then it gains due to exploiting synergies, cross promotion, its expertise and that makes it highly profitable.

Implementation:

    1. Nurture its core competence - creativiy, providing wholseom entertainmentfor the family eetc.
    2. Organize the company into two divisions - Imagination and Practicality or some such thing and make Jerry Kratzenbeg the head of the first one.  Hire back some of thetalent that made Dinsney a great company.
   3. Divest units that dont fit in whith this strategy - Hockey teams, Broadcasting stations, Radio stations, newspapers etc.  Evne though some of them may make profits in the short run, Disney is unlikely to make profits on a continuous basis.

Presentation:

1. I thought we could go almost with no bullet points putting everything we need to say in the form of diagramsn, schematives and pictures.  So, forexample wecan have one slide with core competence in the center circle and its units around the core circle etc.

Please do send your ideas so we can be well prepared fortomorrow.

Thanks
venkat

sharon...@ubs.com

Apr 15, 2009, 4:51:10 PM4/15/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
All,

I have a conference line. If you would prefer I could circulate it later this evening with my writeup.

Venkat thank you so much for the information below.
Apr 15, 2009, 11:57:27 PM4/15/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
It would be helpful to know where it is we are meeting tommorow. I would think that we would discuss and try and get on the same page.

chirag mehta

Apr 16, 2009, 6:40:23 AM4/16/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
We will meeet in library at at 7-7.15 pm...as Venkat is not able to come earlier...

we will take a study room & discuss the case...but I believe we shld do more than getting on the same page...

we cld actually..decide the ppt's content...slide by slide...then e'one can prepare his/her part and we will do practice once/twice in the presentaion room in library....

C yo all 2nite...

please provide your cell #....

Best,

Chirag

Venkat Kalyan

Apr 16, 2009, 8:23:13 AM4/16/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
my cell no. - 347-264-6283

Vincent Varghese

Apr 16, 2009, 9:41:24 AM4/16/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com

sharon...@ubs.com

Apr 16, 2009, 10:43:39 AM4/16/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com

Apr 16, 2009, 11:08:16 AM4/16/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
I do not have a cell so i will just meet you in the library at 7...by the circulation desk.

Venkat Kalyan

Apr 17, 2009, 6:57:18 AM4/17/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
The papers that are most revelant I think are

The core competence of a corporation by CKPrahlad and Gary Hamel
Looking Inside for Competitive Advantage whichI think discusses the creation of a core competence

Other good papers:

Competing on Resources is another paperthat supports us
Note on Coporate strategy
Creating Corporate Advantage

Apr 19, 2009, 9:54:08 PM4/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the information. I'll focus on this article.

Vincent Varghese

Apr 21, 2009, 1:30:53 AM4/21/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys...on a seperate note, how many of you have been doing the peer evaluations? I know myself and zara have yet to do one.