Case Issue Statement Due This Thursday

1 view

sharon...@ubs.com

Feb 17, 2009, 6:19:26 PM2/17/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Team

We have a write-up due for Ryanir....just a reminder.

Please do not transmit orders or instructions regarding a UBS account electronically, including but not limited to e-mail, fax, text or instant messaging. The information provided in this e-mail or any attachments is not an official transaction confirmation or account statement. For your protection, do not include account numbers, Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, passwords or other non-public information in your e-mail. Because the information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise protected from disclosure, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your computer if you have received this communication in error. Thank you.

UBS Financial Services Inc.
UBS International Inc.
UBS Financial Services Incorporated of Puerto Rico
UBS AG

Zara Massey

Feb 17, 2009, 10:36:30 PM2/17/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Thankyou

sharon...@ubs.com

Feb 18, 2009, 9:32:30 AM2/18/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Team,

I've begin to give some thought to our presentation as time will be approaching fast...As presentations go on there is a tendency to see what is missing...

One element that I notice was missing from the presentation last night, which I thought could be incorporated in our presentation structure, is evidence for the Alternatives. As Alternatives are being presented evidence for each should be presented as well. This gives viability to what we surmise as the "right" move going forward.

I welcome your thoughts.

Regards.

Feb 18, 2009, 12:21:19 PM2/18/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Hey e'one.. did u find the Ryanir case in the e-mails  which I ent...I am not getting it... may be it is with a different name...

if u know... den let me know ...n if we don't have it... Venkat ...can u please send it...

Thanks,
CM

sharon...@ubs.com

Feb 18, 2009, 2:36:22 PM2/18/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Here you go.

Feb 18, 2009, 2:38:25 PM2/18/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Hey Sharon

Thats definitely a good suggestion. As you said, one of the pros to presenting later than earlier is that we can see what to avoid or include in our own presentation by observing the other groups.  Another  thing that kind of struck me was the repetitive nature of the presentation yesterday.  I'm wondering if there is a way for us to avoid that as it made yesterday's group presentation a bit monotonous.

Vincent Varghese

Feb 18, 2009, 2:45:33 PM2/18/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys

On the HBS case write up...This case actually comes in 3 parts labeled A, B, C.  Part A which Sharon sent is basically an introduction to the history of the Airline industry in Europe and the beginings of Ryanair airlines.  However, this part doesnt talk about the actual problems Ryanair is experiencing.  Part B actually continues the story and talks about the crisis facing Ryanair.  Part C is the follow up to B and talks about the decisions to rectify the problems in part B.  I think I may be confusing you all, so im just attaching all 3 parts for you to read...see you all later.

--Vincent
Ryanair A.pdf
ryanairB.pdf
RyanairC.pdf

sharon...@ubs.com

Feb 18, 2009, 2:48:50 PM2/18/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com

What I've always done in other teams was to construct independent outlines as to what our touch points of discussion will be. If there is overlap (as we witnessed last night) then it is determined which part of the presentation would that point be more effective in its delivery. So if I have 5 points I want to touch upon, as the slides are assembled, we as team might decide that one of those points are better in a later part of the presentation which would mean that I would not discuss it or just make reference to it to be discussed later.

Thank you for the other attachments.

Feb 18, 2009, 2:51:50 PM2/18/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
lol... I just show 'Dogfiht' ...n den thought dt it is not Ryanair ... :)

thanks

Zara Massey

Feb 18, 2009, 3:42:36 PM2/18/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
aaahhhh...i didnt know it was in 3 parts..
thanks

Vincent Varghese

Feb 19, 2009, 9:50:07 AM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

After reading the study, im thinking that Part C wasnt meant to be read by us as part C tells what Ryanair did to get out of its troubles.  They were having financial troubles in part B...but returned to profitability in C due to the changes (i think it mentioned that they remained profitable ever since).  What do you all think?

chirag mehta

Feb 19, 2009, 2:53:27 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
I finished reading A & B.. but can't say central issue with confidence.. so now I am starting to read... C.. hopefully I can figure out the central issue.. C has max information....

Vincent Varghese

Feb 19, 2009, 3:00:46 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
For me the central issue was the combination of their aggressive pricing causing a price war and the lack of reducing any sort of costs.  The combination of these two made the environment unable to support the quick expansion. So they continued to lower prices hoping sheer volume of customers would compensate and they kept costs the same.  Since the competitors were determined to match any low price, the volume of customers would have to increase at a greater proportion in order to keep/increase revenue levels.  Volume did increase as they expanded, but not enough.  Therefore, they should have cut costs to compensate for the continuing price cuts...but the case made no mention of any cuts.

sharon...@ubs.com

Feb 19, 2009, 3:19:25 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
For me the central issue was their lack of Corporate Direction
The case mentions the company didn't have a mission statement and/or minimum long term planning
They determined priorities by a weekly basis and thus was operating in a reactionary mode which is detrimental to the long term sustainability of any business.  I estimate the life cycle of the airline industry is close to 50+ years and the outcome would be detrimental.

Feb 19, 2009, 3:42:40 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
I dont think we even had to read B..coz why would we have to read A & B and not C. Either we were supposed to read A only or all 3.
Yea i think the competition that they faced was their biggest problem which ties in with prricing...

chirag mehta

Feb 19, 2009, 3:59:27 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Nooo... the case covered all the three parts... A -- start up ... B ....  Challenges... C... solutions & new challenges... its a cycle... but unfortunately for us  ( although gud for company) there is no substantial problem towards the end i.e. 1999... where we ( so called strtgy consultants/expert) can find few problems n help the company...

i am reading C .. when ever i m  getting some time...hope to finish it... :(

in short i am more n more confused .... lol... wld wrtie s'thing ...n give him....

take ur stand .... n do it.. wtevr u feel like... c ya 2nite

Vincent Varghese

Feb 19, 2009, 3:59:40 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Well in regards to part A....what problem is mentioned in it?  Its just a summary on the history of the european airlines and Ryanair.  So by reading part A, how can you find a central issue?

Zara Massey

Feb 19, 2009, 4:01:52 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
so are we supposed to tell him that this is a problem or we found no problem in part A but when we read part B we found a  problem???

sharon...@ubs.com

Feb 19, 2009, 4:02:52 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Just so i'm clear we hand in our sheets independently correct?

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Vincent Varghese <vjvar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well in regards to part A....what problem is mentioned in it?  Its just a summary on the history of the european airlines and Ryanair.  So by reading part A, how can you find a central issue?

Vincent Varghese

Feb 19, 2009, 4:03:42 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
I dont know...thats why im a bit confused.  Part A is history Part B is the problems and Part C shows how they came out.  But if we're supposed to write what we thought is the central issue, then part B seems to be the most important.

Zara Massey

Feb 19, 2009, 4:03:50 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Yes we hand them in independently.

Vincent Varghese

Feb 19, 2009, 4:03:59 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Yes independently.

chirag mehta

Feb 19, 2009, 4:09:24 PM2/19/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
yaa... if problem then B is good... otherwise god knows... why such a case for us :)
 & yes independently...

Vincent Varghese

Feb 21, 2009, 12:26:16 PM2/21/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I just want to apologize for getting everyone to read the wrong parts of the Ryanair case.  I didnt take the time to realize it was just part A and got everyone to waste there time.  So once again I apologize.

-Vincent

chirag mehta

Feb 21, 2009, 2:25:17 PM2/21/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
cool man...dts ok...no worry...

Sharon Niles

Feb 22, 2009, 1:26:33 PM2/22/09
to bus92...@googlegroups.com
Vince

Allow me to be a soccer mom for a min.....if a goal scores you can't blame the goalie....we're a team so no apology necessary....I would say that the way we approach the team informing them that they had the incorrect part was a little hubris on our part.

The professor says we can hand in our write up via email before Tuesday.

Have a good week everyone.