MIDTERM

Tiffany Hamil

Feb 14, 2011, 5:26:03 PM2/14/11
to Bus Law I
I wanted to give you an update with regards to the MIDTERM.

Coverage:
The Midterm will cover chapters 1-9. I should be able to discuss each
chapter in class fully prior to the midterm date, but if I am not able
to, you will still be responsible for this information. So, prepare
chapters 1-9.

Exam Structure:
The Midterm will consist of 20 Multiple choice/True False Questions.
Bring your own scantron. This will be closed book.

After you have turned in your scantron, you will pick up the open book
portion of the exam. For this portion, you may use your book, your
notes, and your homework. You MAY NOT bring in any electronic device--
No PCs, no phones, etc. The open book portion of the exam will be
short essays similar to your weekly homework.

My exam is not that difficult, it is just LONG. You will not finish my
exam. Being that this is an open book exam, I anticipate that the
students who KNOW the material will be able to answer more questions
than those who don't know the material and have to look it up.

Be strategic. If you see a problem that you don't know the answer to,
you can just skip it and move on. Word of warning though: the essay
prompts are rather long. If you keep reading problems and skipping
them, you are wasting time.

What to bring:
1. Pencil & pen. You must use a pencil on your scantron.
2. Scantron
3. Book, Notes, Homework, etc. Must all be in PAPER form. No
electronic devices will be permitted.

How I grade:
I grade on a true curve. In life, you don't have to be a genius; you
just have to be smarter than everyone else.

You will receive a point for every multiple choice question you answer
correctly. You will receive a point for every key term you use, every
"right" conclusion, and every major point/factor/element in a well-
reasoned analysis. I will then total up the raw points obtained for
each exam. The student with the highest point total will receive a
100. Every other student will be graded on a curve based on the
highest point total obtained by their classmate.

How to prepare:
1. Make sure you understand all of the key terms.
2. Review all of the problems that were assigned as homework either to
yourself or to other people. We discuss the problems in class, so you
all should have the correct answers. If you need an answer to a
specific problem, please email me. I would advise getting a study
group together (2-4 people) and reworking the assigned problems.
3. Read the Case Summaries in the chapters. Pay close attention to the
Decision and the Court's reasoning. What key facts did the Court think
was important? If you are ever able to draw an analogy between your
specific fact pattern and a case in the book, that would be very
impressive.
4. Ask if you have questions!

Sergio Ramirez

Feb 15, 2011, 1:47:56 AM2/15/11
to bus-...@googlegroups.com
Ms. Hamil,

what do you mean by the following: "the essay

> prompts are rather long. If you keep reading problems and skipping
> them, you are wasting time."

thanks.

Sergio