I89 Focus Group Ideas

Jonathon Weber

Jul 16, 2021, 11:11:30 AM7/16/21
to burlingto...@googlegroups.com, Liasons Bwbc
Good morning BWBC folks,
As you may know, CCRPC is beginning to hold focus group meetings about the TDM bundle for the Envision I89 project. Basically, this will look at ways to reduce congestion and VMT on I89 through increasing use of more efficient modes.

Here's a bit more about the TDM bundle and this process from the project team:

Bundle 2 focuses on developing strategies to reduce Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT) and Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) as a way to avoid expensive highway capacity improvements and meet our energy goals. The CCRPC has hired RSG to develop a Regional Strategic Planning Model (RSPM) for Chittenden County that will be used to evaluate high-level policies that will facilitate VMT and GHG reduction in the county. The I-89 Focus Group will also be assisting the project team in the strategic modeling effort.

My sense based on the meetings thus far, the above description, and conversations with RPC staff is that the most successful proposals will be for strategies that can be predicted to result in a measurable decrease in VMT, GHG, and possibly congestion on and around I89. I know that the above description says "in the county," but I think that was a mistake and that the study will in fact focus more on the I89 corridor.

The funding for these projects would be pulled from the budget for interstate improvements, so it would be in addition to what's already budgeted in the metropolitan plan to be spent on walk/bike projects, and would theoretically reduce the available funding for auto-oriented projects. There's more detail about the funding and the bundles in the attached presentation.

Since I'm going to be participating in the focus group, I'm trying to collect ideas and input from the walk/bike community, and would very much welcome input from you. The first focus group meeting is next Tuesday.

If you have input, or questions, etc, please email them to me individually.

Thanks, I hope to talk to you all soon.
Jonathon

--
Jonathon Weber