DPW needs your help!

Erik Brotz

Jun 23, 2023, 7:21:22 AM6/23/23
to burlingto...@googlegroups.com, Alan Mashtare

Burlington's Department of Public Works normally hires 9 seasonal positions to paint crosswalks, and it takes them much of the summer to complete the work.  This year they have only filled 2 of those positions so far - and clearly this significantly hampers their ability to get the work done.  I'm sure we'd all like to have all of the crosswalks painted sooner rather than later (or not at all).

There are a few ways we can help them out.  One is if you or someone you know wants to fill one of those seasonal positions.  But you could also band together with neighbors or friends to paint crosswalks in your neighborhood.  DPW can work with you to figure out schedules that work for you … and PAY you! (~$17/hr).  They'd also welcome volunteer efforts if you don't want to bother with the pay.

They could also use more Crossing Guards -  there are 33 locations and they have about 25 filled (these are also paid positions).  I know a couple people who have been crossing guards and they've enjoyed it.  You should know that there are some additional details associated with being a Crossing Guard (background check, etc).

If you are interested in either of these opportunities to help your community, you can contact Alan Mashtare <amas...@burlingtonvt.gov>.

Thanks!