Re: Winooski River Bridge

Serrill Flash

Mar 2, 2024, 1:23:35 PMMar 2
to Zoraya Hightower, burlingto...@googlegroups.com
Zoraya,

Thank you so much for your clarifications. I did not make up the words I used- direct quotes from Walk Bike Council- about political will, decisions, and that a round about- was possible- if your are willing to install a one lane round a bout. Both Riverside Ave and Colchester Ave are one lane roads mostly (single lanes in both directions- so it seems the single lanes could feed into the single lane roundabout. My understanding is that the design team (hired by the CCRPC?) acknowledges the possibility of a single lane roundabout - not effecting any historical buildings.

I will share your words with the Walk Bike Council.

Thank you again

Serrill Flash

On Mar 2, 2024, at 12:04 PM, Zoraya Hightower <Zhigh...@burlingtonvt.gov> wrote:

Hi Serrill,

The council hasn't voted on this yet. DPW gave a presentation on it that was the same presentation the public received. They told us they hadn't made the changes yet based on public input for consistency's sake but that they were planning on doing so. I think I was one of the few councilor's who spoke and I made it clear that when this came to us for a vote I wanted to see a narrower bridge and protected bike lanes.

My understanding (and I know Gene's understanding) was that a roundabout was not possible on the Burlington side. It's certainly also what I want so it would be nice to understand where the discrepancy is coming from. But again, council has taken no action on this so there was no 'lack of political will'

Zoraya

<Outlook-y3h4uc4d.png>

Mar 2, 2024, 3:58:13 PMMar 2
to serril...@gmail.com, Zoraya Hightower, burlingto...@googlegroups.com
I really appreciate reading the comments about the roundabout; reminds me of Tony Redingtons’ valiant struggle to get planners & engineers to accept roundabouts as a way to calm traffic and give people a greater value than the automobile, or at least on an equitable parr for the safety of travel on our roads.  I also appreciate building for a future where active transportation  is given the opportunity to thrive and more money is spent on infrastructure to enhance walking, biking, a walkable environment  aided by public rather than private transit.

One could imagine light rail going between Burlington and Winooski on Colchester Ave. to eliminate the need for wider roads and parking garages in their downtowns.

Regards,
Phil

On Mar 2, 2024, at 1:23 PM, Serrill Flash <serril...@gmail.com> wrote:

Zoraya,

Thank you so much for your clarifications. I did not make up the words I used- direct quotes from Walk Bike Council- about political will, decisions, and that a round about- was possible- if your are willing to install a one lane round a bout. Both Redington’s valiant fight t

anColchester Ave are one lane roads mostly (single lanes in both directions- so it seems the single lanes could feed into the single lane roundabout. My understanding is that the design team (hired by the CCRPC?) acknowledges the possibility of a single lane roundabout - not effecting any historical buildings.

This is an open, welcoming forum for participants to discuss biking and walking in Burlington, Vermont. Posts are not moderated or reviewed. Please keep posts brief, do not repeat previous authors' points, and keep all comments civil. Participants who do not adhere to these requests will be contacted by the list moderator(s) and, ultimately, if the failure to adhere continues, messages will be moderated.

The BWBC meets on the 1st Wednesday of the month, usually in the Department of Public Works Conference Room at 645 Pine Street, Burlington. All are invited and encouraged to attend. For agendas and minutes, visit https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/bwbc/agendas.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Burlington Walk/Bike Council" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/burlingtonwalkbike/CE6A1B08-BFD4-462A-8A44-FFF74966219B%40gmail.com.

Evan

Mar 2, 2024, 5:31:32 PMMar 2
to phil.ham...@gmail.com, serril...@gmail.com, Zoraya Hightower, burlingto...@googlegroups.com
My general recollection was that VTrans didn't want to do a single lane roundabout, because their traffic modeling showed they needed to design for 2. If their sign off is not required, and a one lane roundabout is possible that would be great.