Re: Going in circles; Local officials, PennDOT find roundabouts increase safety, improve traffic flow | News | sharonherald.com

TONY Redington

Sep 27, 2021, 8:25:03 AM9/27/21
to Roundabout Research
Thanks for this important Pennsylvania DOT report--it is hard to top 100% reduction in fatals!  Still the first and seminal research was done by AAA Foundation--it found 63,000 lives and 353,000 serious injuries saved by employing six road infrastructure investments with the roundabout alone responsible for 30% of the death/serious injury reductions.  There appears to be the beginnings of a movement for an adoption by jurisdictions of a "roundabouts first" policy to direct departments of transportation and public works agencies to get on board.

What the Pennsylvania study reveals is the truths we already know about roundabouts--they  do cut deaths and serious injuries.  But we too often soft pedal that.  And we know not a single pedestrian has been recorded killed on a marked roundabout on the 9,000 now in place in US/Canada (one of five ped deaths cannot be categorized based on available information).

      Tony Redington
      Walk Safety Advocate

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 at 3:46 PM Ken Sides <ksi...@samschwartz.com> wrote:

In 20 years of data, no fatalities at PennDOT’s modern roundabouts.  Not an aspirational goal to maybe be reached some future day, Pennsylvania DOT has achieved Vision Zero in the here and now at its modern roundabouts.

Here are three more media reports to supplement Gene’s post.

PennDOT touts safety of roundabouts in study that includes Erie, Crawford intersections

https://www.goerie.com/story/news/local/2021/09/25/erie-area-traffic-penndot-touts-roundabout-safety-study/5827053001/

PennDOT: Data supports roundabout safety in Pennsylvania

https://cumberlink.com/news/local/penndot-data-supports-roundabout-safety-in-pennsylvania/article_1cff14cc-77c0-501c-977e-c00ff167b7bd.html

PennDOT Touts Success Of Roundabouts

https://butlerradio.com/penndot-touts-success-of-roundabouts/

-Ken

Ken Sides, PE, PTOE, CNU-a, LCI, RLRM

Chair, ITE Roundabout Committee

Chair, TRB Sub-Committee on Roundabouts and AVs

Going in circles; Local officials, PennDOT find roundabouts increase safety, improve traffic flow | News |

https://www.sharonherald.com/news/going-in-circles-local-officials-penndot-find-roundabouts-increase-safety-improve-traffic-flow/article_a0df7818-1d66-11ec-b2c9-4fc1c86e09ce.html

The state transportation agency credited roundabouts with decreasing the number and severity of accidents at 26 roundabouts throughout the state between 2000 through 2020. In the study’s most significant finding, fatal accidents at the intersections decreased by 100%.

--

What can you do?

Sign the Stop the Champlain Parkway Project and Choose the Champlain RIGHTway Petition: http://chng.it/tS9Ts5FjDx   SafeStreetsBurlington.com