BWBC meeting agenda Wed., June 5

Erik Brotz

May 23, 2024, 6:35:35 AMMay 23
to burlingto...@googlegroups.com

Please join us on Wed., June 5 from 5:30-7 pm as the Burlington Walk-Bike Council discusses reducing speed limits in Burlington (especially downtown), and increasing use of community-led demonstration projects.

AGENDA - Burlington Walk / Bike Council

June 5, 2024, Wednesday 5:30 – 7:00 pm

MEETING OPTIONS:

1. In-person - DPW conference room at 645 Pine Street, Burlington

2. Virtually - using Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88225473951?pwd=YzFFQ1Q3Y3J4bzcwR2VNYWRFWnhtUT09   Passcode: 091788

AGENDA:

1. Introductions, Announcements, Updates and Public Comments (15 min)

2. Reducing Speed Limits in Burlington (30 min)

We’ll have a discussion about whether we should work on reducing speed limits on non-arterial streets in Burlington.  The speed limit in the downtown district can be reduced by the city; we could lobby the Public Works Commission to do this.  Changing the speed limit to less than 25 mph on other streets would require a change in state law (or maybe an exception) and could be a longer-term plan.  Reduced speed limits would mean lower design speeds for work being done on the streets.

3. Community-led Demonstration Projects (45 min)

We’ll talk with DPW about the existing process for Tactical Urbanism and Demonstration Projects, ways it may be simplified, and potential projects we could move forward.

Previous Meeting – At the May 1, 2024 meeting, we discussed the Burlington-Winooski Bridge, ways BWBC can help DPW get more done, how DPW responds to crashes, and what we can learn from street closures.

Next Month:  BWBC Meets Wednesday, July 3, 2024, 5:30 – 7:00 pm

The BWBC is an all-volunteer advisory council to the City of Burlington. We work closely with and advise the Department of Public Works and the Department of Parks, Recreation, & Waterfront on infrastructure improvements and policy changes for walking and bicycling. The council also leads advocacy efforts and organizes events and activities that promote and celebrate walking and biking in Burlington and beyond.  See BWBC Webpage and Meeting Minutes and Agendas

BWBC Coordinating Committee

Erik Brown Brotz,(er...@burlingtontelecom.net), Chair, Jason Stuffle, Jak Tiano, Gordon Dragoon, with Jonathon Weber (Local Motion)