Notes from Group Meeting May 9

Carolyn Bates

May 19, 2011, 6:03:19 PM5/19/11
to burlingtonians Dogs
Dog Park Meeting  May 9, 9am, Fletcher Free Library.

Larry K from Cedo
Pike Porter
Chris Hadsel
Carolyn Bates
Ed Pais

Larry talked about CEDO and how it works.  If dog parks were to bring in more jobs and/or more income to Burlington, then he could help us.  He told us about the land just south of the Maltex Bldg, that is a brownfield, and has a southern section that can never be used.  It is basically worthless land, except capped as a parking lot, as there can be no digging.  Thus no good for dog park,  but maybe good for parking for Dealer.com.  Unfortunately owner, Rick Davis has put a $1.4 million sale price on the land!

Chris Hadsel suggested that making us a non-profit organization for $45? and then tagging onto the city non profit, we could solicit charitable funds to help build a dog park.

It was estimated cost for fence would be between $5000 and $10,000.

It was mentioned that the Burlington Bike Path damage from flooding would cost one million dollars to fix and therefore there would be NO extra money for dog parks.

Pike Porter went with Larry after the meeting to see if there was any non brownfield land south of Pine St. to use as a dog park.  He and Ed were going to research where our dog tag fees are going, and how much a year is paid for these fees.

Chris Hadsel said that parks commissioners knew about waterfront dog park needing repairs for a long time, but refused to do anything about it.

It was discussed and agreed that if we brought in enough money, a plan, a location, a crew to build it, for dog park, we might get one. Just like the bocci group did.  This is what others have done, as well.  All parks commissioners would do is to OK this.

It was discussed that if Champlain parkway was built, that it would disrupt use of a dog park south of Home Ave and Batchelder sts.  This was the place that Steve Goodkind suggested we could use.

It was discussed as to where the location in the interval was.  Just north of the gardens, south of road to radio tower, and south and west of all farmland. As I recall it was between 100-400 feet in a triangular shape.  I thought that this could be a good stepping off place for small dog off leash area, and a place to use to start long walks, on leash, with your dog around the intervale area.

Parking was discussed.  Apparently there are 15 spaces, more or less, at Starr Farm Rd dog park.  It was discussed that we would need to add parking to all new spaces.  Thus it would behove us to find a space within a park where parking is already established.  Much cheaper to do.

We did not establish a new meeting time.  It was discussed that perhaps we should wait until we see what parks commissioners report in Oct. to city council, if anything.   Comments welcome here.

Comments…additions…subtractions welcome.

Thank all of you for attending and giving us your input.

Carolyn
May 11, 2011

Carolyn L. Bates Photography
Address:    PO Box 1205, Burlington, VT 05402
Phone:    (802) 238-4213

Find out more by visiting My Blog or my Facebook Fan Page