Re: Digest for burlingtoniansfordogs@googlegroups.com - 6 Messages in 3 Topics

pike porter

Apr 27, 2011, 8:27:55 AM4/27/11
to burlington...@googlegroups.com, JPut...@ci.burlington.vt.us
There was a new commissioner who made the motion for the recommendation that will go before the ordinance committee by next Tuesday when it next meets. The new commissioner seemed uncomfortable drafting language for the resolution and was  prompted by the city attorney. I mention this because the motion as presented was a bit jumbled and confusing and I want to make sure that the correct recommendation is conveyed to the ordinance committee.

The recommendation stated that
  • Language regarding shooting of off leash dogs will be removed
  • The two established dog parks will be made permanent
  • The three other previously identified dog parks will continue in a pilot program
  • Other recently identified areas will also be evaluated for inclusion in the pilot program
  • The commission will report back to the city council by October. The report might not include an actual recommendation depending on how quickly other events occur.
The commission did not discuss what the pilot program will look like, what criteria they will consider when evaluating the three parks, how they will determine successes for the pilot areas, whether the pilot will include fencing and other improvements to these areas, if the areas will be advertised to dog owners as areas to use.  I think all of these items need to be in place before the parks commission can make any real evaluation of the areas by October.

Pike Porter, Realtor
Castle Porter Real Estate
64 Peru Street
Burlington Vermont 05401
802.233.2600

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 2:10 AM, <burlingtonians...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/burlingtoniansfordogs/topics

    Carolyn Bates <cba...@burlingtontelecom.net> Apr 26 08:40PM -0400 ^

    First I want to thank all of you who reached out to help tonight. It was the most significant meeting to be had with Parks Commissioners, as the pilot dog park ordinance was rewritten tonight. Without our input, we might not still have all 5 locations listed, plus promise by parks to look at all possibilities beyond these 5 and report back to city council by Oct 1, 2011. And the part about shooting an off leash bad dog, has been rewritten and moved to the appropriate ordinance, and no longer resides within this pilot ordinance.

    Carolyn Hanson is the new director of the commission.
    Dave Pearson is the second in command.
    Nancy Kaplan, Steve Allen, John Ewing were all present.

    Thank you to these people directly who really helped tonight

    Steve Goodkind, of dept of public works found two possible locations earlier this month with Joan Shannon. Briggs and Flynn; Home and Batchelder

    Joan Shannon and Pike Porter spoke tonight to support dog parks.
    I spoke at a special 10 minute session later, that the Livable City 4Dogs was given to reach out.

    Letters were written to support us by
    Phil LaVigne
    Meryl Goldfarb
    Jessica Eisenhauer
    Edward Pais

    I basically talked about the following parks, and asked that all 5 original locations remain in the ordinance. (starred)
    Oakledge* a map will be submitted
    Leddy a map will be submitted
    Intervale* a map will be submitted
    Schmanska*
    Urban reserve* photos and maps were submitted earlier this year
    Briggs and Flynn photos and map were submitted
    Home and Batchelder photos and map were submitted
    Land fill a map will be submitted
    Starr Farm*

    And I made a summary of many people's thoughts:
    And suggested that dog owners work with parks employees to help maintain parks.
    That all parks used at night have lights.
    That all parks have parking within walking distance
    That we have a big party every year as a fund raiser
    That all dogs must have rabies tags to use park. Perhaps these tags are bright neon yellow, and are sold through vets, parks, and city hall. Maybe dog stores, too.
    That dogs from outside the city have to go to city hall to get special tag to use park and perhaps pay a fee. This way someone can check that they have current rabies shots.
    That signage really describes how to handle aggressive dogs and that they are not allowed in the park
    That dog parks are checked weekly and repairs made accordingly.

    Now parks and rec staff are being charged to look at all possibilities and report back to commissioners. Oct 1, 2011, commissioners report back to city council on where they are at with finding new dog parks. One commissioner appeared to want to look at 8 locations.

    So everyone, start helping them to look. And research other parks to see how they handle fees, rules, aggressive dogs, rabies tags, funding, and what they put into their parks.

    At anytime you can email this group with ideas, as well as send them to parks and rec. Joanne Putzier handles this; Joanne Putzier <JPut...@ci.Burlington.vt.us>
    and Carolyn Hanson regularly checks what we write on this email forum.

    And I ask that if you want to discuss something with just one person of our group, that you take that off line, so we do not clog everyone's emails.

    Thank you

    Carolyn

    April 26, 2011

    Carolyn L. Bates Photography
    Email: cba...@carolynbates.com
    Address: PO Box 1205, Burlington, VT 05402
    Phone: (802) 238-4213
    Website: www.CarolynBates.com

    Find out more by visiting My Blog or my Facebook Fan Page

    Jessica Mendes Eisenhauer <jme...@uvm.edu> Apr 26 09:32AM -0400 ^

    Hi Carolyn,

    I've attached my letter as a MS Word document. It would be great if
    you would please read this at the meeting, and a big thank you in
    advance.

    As far as the silence on the list, I feel more people will participate
    (myself included) as long as we can keep the mood congenial and write
    without personal attacks. I am directing this comment at the entire
    list, and not anyone specifically. I feel that the infighting I have
    observed does not serve our cause well.

    Regards,
    Jess
    --
    Jessica Eisenhauer
    65 Caroline St.

    Meryl Goldfarb <mer...@gmail.com> Apr 26 10:02AM -0400 ^

    Carolyn

    My name is Meryl Goldfarb. I live in the Lakeside community. I moved here two years ago from Underhill. I am a dog owner. The South End really needs a Dog park. There are so many dogs and owners that would benefit from having such an area. We are all aware that dogs need to run exercise and socialize. Giving them a safe place that would not threaten other people would be a huge benefit.

    I have not been able to attend the meetings due to work schedule but I wholly support all efforts that are being made by you and others.

    I realize this is not an easy thing to pull off. I wonder how did the Starr Farm dog park come to be. It seems to me that there is plenty of land to accommodate a dog park. Particularly at Oakledge. I live "around the corner" from oakledge and see the usage. There are good size areas that are not used that could be fenced in for said purpose.

    I gladly lend my support to this endeavor. It would be nothing but a win win for the community.

    Thank you
    Meryl Goldfarb

    373-5932

    Please excuse typos
    Sent from my iPhone

    Joan Shannon <jsha...@burlingtontelecom.net> Apr 26 02:02PM -0400 ^

    I will also be at the Parks and Rec meeting tonight. Just a reminder as to where things stand in terms of the proposed Ordinance, here is the summary of the issue from City Atty Richard Haessler as captured in our Ordinance Committee meeting minutes:

    The referral is on hold – having not yet been acted on by the Parks Commision – significant questions have arisen re where this matter is procedurally – the proposed changes were de minimus and were proposed by Councilor Paul, but they also referenced removing the Pilot language from the Ordinance – this was thought to be a housekeeping matter – and procedurally the regs needed to go through the Parks Commission – but the Parks Commission regards the Pilot and the enabling language of the Pilot as being an issue in dispute before the Commission (at least with regard to certain areas within the City).

    Upon further study, it has been determined that the City Council referred proposed changes and continuing authorizations re the Pilot to the Parks Commission in the summer of 2003 – the Parks Commission never reported back – it is the position of the City Attorney’s Office that the referred matter from 2003 is still open and that the Pilot is still in effect and that the Parks Commission must report back with its recommendations before the Ordinance Committee can take up any of this.

    On Apr 25, 2011, at 9:58 PM, Carolyn Bates wrote:

    Carolyn Bates <cba...@burlingtontelecom.net> Apr 26 10:39AM -0400 ^

    I want to thank everyone who has sent in a letter for me to read tonight at parks commissioners meeting.
    I do hope the rest of you will send a letter, too.
    This is a very important meeting as they will be deciding what parks to include in the new pilot program for dog parks.

    Also, thank you for speaking out and asking that we keep this positive. I believe that an apology was sent to all of us, as the remarks had meant to be sent off the email forum. An email forum should be instructive and positive and lead to new and better ways to have dog parks in this city.

    So Please everyone, lets get back on line and talk. I do ask that you edit what you write to keep it short and to the point.

    Carolyn