Neighborhood Improvement Nights (NINs) 2010

Lea

Nov 16, 2010, 11:32:19 PM11/16/10
to Liveable City for Dogs
Parks was the focus of NIN this year, and every NIN heard that
residents wanted to improve plat areas for dogs in Burlington. The
Parks Commission reacted quickly. At their meeting on Nov. 15, they
committed to upgrading the fenced waterfront area for dogs (special
attention is needed in the water access area), and at Starr Farm Dog
Park. In Wards 4 and 7 Nov 16, the Commission Chairman said the bike
path will be a big priority, and a resident said people in the
community want dog friendly areas to be a priority -- we want
Burlington to be a LIVABLE CITY FOR DOGS! Parks Commission says they
will set up a task force, which is wonderful, but our ongoing special
interest group must continue to lobby for dogs because it will not be
as high a priority for the parks dept as it is for us. South End has
been working with the city to create a dog play area for 13 years, and
they have not been successful. After all those years of tail wagging,
we need to get a little Grrrrrrr going if we're ever going to get
action on this. 13 YEARS is long enough!

Carolyn Bates

Oct 31, 2016, 10:21:19 PM10/31/16
to Dogs burlingtonians
ACtually Lea we started before you moved her
Katy shultz in 1996
and 2500 dog owners went to town
and provided 5-6-7 places to put dogs
And one or two awful members of the Parks Commission shot most of them down
We got the waterfront park moved back so there was NO water access….it was originally to be with the small pier and beach) and Oakledge etc were taken off the list
leaving only Apple Tree Point to care for all dogs.
No handicap access for waterfront.
Our ideas were supported 100% by City Council, but they refused to override the commissioners.

Both were still on when we fought the disc gold fiasco.
Mayer Kiss got two of the bad people OUT.
Leaving one more ON.

And since then I have been, as Lea has, on may committees.

However they have put in a real dog beach area, now right at the south end of the beach going towards Burlington
And then there is some sort of “parK” with exercise spaces.  (very outdated thinking)
That has messed up all the rest of the area
Bull dozers are having a field day moving around dirt
Trees are gone.
The natural feel is gone.
ugh
And who was invited to participate in this mess???
All funded by the waterfront TIF with the skate park.
ACtually the place is blocked off now.

cb

Carolyn L. Bates Photography

ADDRESS:
PO Box 1205, Burlington, VT 05402

Check out my new video by clicking here.