Burg-manager - remove kernels issue

DavidS

Dec 19, 2010, 5:27:16 AM12/19/10
to burg-...@googlegroups.com
Apologies if this is not best place for this post but did register at Burg-Manager forum but no post link found. Also tried BURG Loader Forum but registrations were turned off. This forum I assume is not about the manager but the relationship may call for development checks. Love Burg but expect many users will default to burg-manager install/usage option. It also is a great development.

Just a cautionary warning on the Burg-manager "Remove previous kernel versions" option. I did get manager working fine on my Notebook with Ubuntu 10.04 and Vista dual boot. But on my main desktop I also applied this kernel removal option thinking it only took out boot menu options. A small window popped up that looked like it was removing the actual kernels. My machine would not boot thereafter. As soon as the boot option was selected it seemed to fall over and screen lost signal and went to standby and hard disk activity stopped. Tried CD access to check resolution issues and other settings to no luck. Then gave up and reinstalled grub2 from CD. Same problem so put it down to kernel loss or damage and no recovery options worked from menu. A
fter these many attempts at work-arounds I had to reinstall Ubuntu 10.04. Yet, I think it is a good software and hope no one else has this issue. But thought it worth a cautionary posting.