New object format support for sparc64-ieee1275

Bean

Nov 22, 2009, 12:16:02 PM11/22/09
to burg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Recently, I buy a sun sparc ultra 30 workstation from an old hardware
store. With it, I'm able to complete my new object format support for
space64-ieee1275 platform.

I add new option -n/--netboot to grub-mkimage so that it can build
netboot image. For example, to generate sparc.img:

grub-mkimage -n -o sparc.img minicmd part_sun ext2 linux normal sh
nmenu halt reboot

Upload sparc.img to server and now you can boot the machine with "boot
net" in ok prompt, this is very useful in debugging.

sparc.img should also be all right to be loaded from OpenBoot directly
if you put it in a ufs partition, for example:

boot disk1 /sparc.img

My machine don't have an ufs partition, so I can't confirm it, but it
should be ok given that the image can be boot from network.

Install to boot block doesn't work at present.

To boot linux in burg:

linux (disk1,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
initrd (disk1,1)/boot/initrd.img
boot

The test OS is debian lenny sparc64 installed in /dev/sda1.

Tested ok using native compiler and cross compile from i386 host.

--
Bean

Project: https://launchpad.net/burg
Document: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg

Bean

Nov 23, 2009, 2:09:16 PM11/23/09
to burg-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Update:

Install to disk is working now, for example:

sudo grub-install --modules=linux /dev/sda1

The new lua script engine also works fine.

--
Bean