Re: [bup/bup] Avoid the use of a local window when splitting (PR #70)

Greg Troxel

Jul 9, 2022, 3:48:40 PM7/9/22
to Rob Browning, bup-...@googlegroups.com

[mailinglist content moved to mailinglist]

Rob Browning <notifi...@github.com> writes:

> I'm also trying to decide if I think we should pursue a release before
> merging the hashsplitter overhaul, since we already have a good bit of
> work pending, and deferring it (given its critical nature) would give
> it plenty of time to settle before a release that includes it.

Coming from my own use and caring about stability, and as a packager, my
view is basically:

- we have an infinite number of release numbers
- there's nothing wrong with two releases close in time if it works
out that way
- almost everyone only runs releases that have been packaged

which argues for

- if what we have now is meaningfully better than the last release,
then finish up all minor things that are on the table, feature
freeze, stablize, portability patrol* and fix that, and release

- get the hashsplit stuff ready and merge that post release, and then
see how we feel about it after a month in terms of stability.

* if feels like recent changes are more likely to cause issues compared
to past years, and some of that's ok, but asking for broad testing to
find any so we can be intentional would be good

signature.asc